1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Turkey burgers

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    I'm planning on making some burgers using turkey mince. How can i get them to stick together without using egg (OH is allergic)? What sort of flavourings would you put in them? I was thinking spring onion and a bit of chilli.
    Thanks,
    Becky

2. Hi All,
    I'm planning on making some burgers using turkey mince. How can i get them to stick together without using egg (OH is allergic)? What sort of flavourings would you put in them? I was thinking spring onion and a bit of chilli.
    Thanks,
    Becky

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Use a slice of bread made into breadcrumbs. I add the grated rind of a lemon and chopped parsley to mine, then wrap in streaky bacon.
    Spring onion and chilli sounds fine.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Try soaking a bit of wholemeal bread in milk, wring it out and smoosh this into the burger mix. This will bind and lighten the mixture. Spring onion and chilli would be good!

5. Thanks both. I like the idea of the streaky bacon but haven't got any in at the mo. Might add some lime zest too.

6. Eggs are used as a binding agent in burgers. You can quite happily make burgers without them.
    As already suggested, some breadcrumbs will help with binding instead if eggs.
    I find that burgers without onion bind better than those with. No doubt someone will have a scientific reason for this!...And also, smaller burgers hold their shape better than larger ones. So go for 2oz or 4oz burgers rather than huge half-pounders if you are missing out on the egg.
    With turkey burgers I'd want to add a little pzazz - Si N Tifficks Spring Onion/Chilli sounds good...or maybe a dash of Piri-Piri...or Turkey and Apple burgers....or maybe add a little Onion and some Sage to give the idea of stuffing

7. I make turkey burgers with red Thai curry paste, chillies, spring onions and coriander (was a Weight watchers recipe from years ago I think?). They are gorgeous! I'm sure I've made them without egg before. I would make and shape them, wrap in clingfilm and chill if not using egg as they are more likely to bind together.

8. You can also bind with quark, rather than egg. Makes lovely, light and moist burgers.
    Or just use breadcrumbs, as has been said.
    You can even make them without any binding if the mince is good quality!
    Whichever method you use, I would always advise shaping then chilling for an hour or so before cooking - it firms them up a bit and they don't fall apart whilst you are cooking them.