1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Turkey - any good value ones about?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by grandelf, Dec 22, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Ideally after a turkey crown, only needs to serve 3-4
    (any yes it has to be turkey)
    However I am not seeing any smaller than feeds 4-6, with the cheapest so far being M+S for £12.

Any ideas?

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Ideally after a turkey crown, only needs to serve 3-4
    (any yes it has to be turkey)
    However I am not seeing any smaller than feeds 4-6, with the cheapest so far being M+S for £12.

Any ideas?

3. 4-6 will give you leftovers elfie! Sandwiches, risottos, pies, soups.....I wouldn't worry about it being slightly bigger than you think you need. £12 seems quite reasonable.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

£12 seems very reasonable to me - I don't actually know if you can get one commercially that feeds 3-4....and anyway, you need extra turkey for the leftovers...they're the best bit!

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

i know I'm being tight!

daft thing is what ever I cook with be left with the OH dad, as we are travelling up to my mums Xmas evening. No point taking the meat with us as mum will have more food in that you can shake a stick at.

At least OH dad will be well fed, esp as I think he is working shifts at the hospital over the hols so can pick at the left over turkey/pork etc.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Oh, I see...hmm...
    Normally I'd say just get a big chicken and pretend its a small turkey but I have a feeling that isn't going to work!

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I have tried that idea, it went down like a lead balloon!

8. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Hi, we've just bought ours from the Co-op - a medium (5.2kg) Elmwood turkey for £10. Seems v cheap to me but my sis says Elmwood are usually very good.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Get a capon - don't tell anyone - most/all won't recognise the difference!
    Also, go to your local butcher....explain that you want some turkey giblets and wings please...Our local butcher always has plenty to spare. (People order a turkey, then tell him they want him to give them the crown and the legs and he can bin the rest!!!!......Madness!....he saves up all the cut-offs and offers them free/cheap to anyone with long lashes and dimples!)
    Then make 'proper' turkey giblet gravy to go with your capon/chicken!

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Giblet gravy is the ONLY gravy worth having! Yum, yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!