1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tunbridge Wells headmistress brings in compulsory pupil-teacher handshaking

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Sep 14, 2017.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. saluki

saluki Established commenter

We were told to do this on a recent training day. We all refused. The head teacher had probably been on the same useless training course as our HOD.
    Anyone who has done a food hygiene course will be able to tell you why you shouldn't eat peanuts provided in a bar. They will also be able to tell you what is found on male hands that isn't found on female hands. Eeuukk!

TCSC47, stonerose, leonardmog and 3 others like this.
  3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

I don't get the point.
    If it's to 'show respect' - no it doesn't if it's compulsory. And as soon as the novelty wears off, it becomes an unthinking habit with no meaning at all - although it will still waste a lot of time.

Come to think of it , could this be extended to every job. Let's imagine say , the train station, everyone has a personal handshake as they go through the barrier,
    "good morning sir"
    "good morning sir"
    "good morning madam"
    "good morning sir"
    "good morning madam"
    "good morning ma.... oh sorry you've missed your train!"

stonerose and FrankWolley like this.
  4. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Cue a massive rise in staff sickness. How long do you give it before it sinks without trace?

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

..and pupil sickness.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

How long before they start grumbling that lessons aren't getting off to a snappy start because child 30 in the class is entering a couple of minutes after they could have done - or that while the teacher's dutifully shaking hands, Billy Wriggle's up to tricks.

7. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I bet they've copied it from Thomas' School in Battersea where Prince George has just started. I read that they all do it there. The children are not allowed to have best friends either. Maybe that will be the buzz thing soon in Tunbridge Wells. After all it is Royal Tunbridge Wells.;)

TCSC47 and stonerose like this.
  8. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

9. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Yuk! I wouldn't want to shake the hands of teenagers, who are still learning to put into practice what little they know about personal hygiene.

TCSC47, stonerose, Laphroig and 2 others like this.
  10. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I'd think this would apply to all schools! Children and teenagers are not very good at washing their hands.

TCSC47 and stonerose like this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

My thoughts on reading the article...
    1. Shaking hands with the pupils? What a stupid policy. However it does give the opportunity for a teacher to deliver a knuckle-crusher just to show Wayne who is boss.
    2. I shake hands with those I choose, not on the direction or someone else.
    3. That women needs to wash her hair. It looks lank, greasy and positively festering.

12. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Once at the beginning of the school year, perhaps. But every lesson? What an awful waste of time, hygiene concerns aside.

stonerose and leonardmog like this.
  13. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

I'd insist on hygiene gel dispensers in every room , toilet, office and corridor - the cost alone would soon help to stop this sort of nonsense

Of course you'd have to have the zero-alcohol version - you know what some the staff are like .

TCSC47, stonerose, mamcguigan and 5 others like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I do NOT want to touch them... they do NOT want to touch me.

Why in the name of holy goat interspecies dialogue would anyone think to force that on anyone? Blithering ejjits!

TCSC47, stonerose, Laphroig and 4 others like this.
  15. praha

praha New commenter

A teacher joined a school at which I worked and she would do this handshake thing with her form at the end of each day - she said it meant she knew that she had definitely seen the child had gone to their parent etc at end of day. Personally, I felt and still think that it is ridiculous to not be able keep pupils waiting with you before they off to parents without a handshake.
    Some parents liked seeing this and then some teachers started doing this too with their forms because the teacher was praised for doing this by a member of SLT.
    I did not do this and believe that to impose it on entry to classrooms is not positive and actually yet again is a SLT imposition which is basically taking away the ability of teachers to have their established rules for starting lessons.
    Insisting on polite good morning being said, orderly entry to all lessons and clear behaviour expectations for classrooms across the school is enough.

Have handshake lessons incorporated in preparation for interviews by all means.
    There are too many health issues with constant handshaking. Handshaking in the UK has certain formal functions, which this rule just diminishes.

stonerose likes this.
  16. leonardmog

leonardmog New commenter

Seriously, what the xxxx is happening to teaching these days- utter madness.
    A really stupid idea.

stonerose and emerald52 like this.
  17. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Is this an attempt to marginalise Muslim staff and pupils who have cultural objections to handshakes in certain situations?

I know of pupils who deliberately stick their hands down their trousers, then offer a teacher a handshake.

18. bonxie

bonxie Occasional commenter

Just think how fast norovirus would spread in a school with this policy. If it results in attendance figures dropping dramatically on a regular basis, the handshakes will have to stop for health and safety reasons.

stonerose, mamcguigan and emerald52 like this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I guess the teachers could wear gloves to do it... (The thought came to me after reading post #17!)

stonerose, emerald52 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  20. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

Oh what a lot of.nonsense. respect.is about far more than this. This is.no more meaningful than the "have a.nice day" at the door of the Disney store.