1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tulip Siddiq

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jan 14, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Amazing! Labour MP Tulip Siddiq has delayed having a C-Section in order to vote on Brexit, because she doesn't trust the Tories not to renege on any pairing agreement. There's loads of issues here - the anti-woman nature of Parliament; the sheer dastardliness of the Conservatives; the importance of the Brexit vote. Take your pick!

ilovesooty and monicabilongame like this.
  2. MAGAorMIGA

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Do you remember what it was like in the 1970s, particularly under the Callaghan government? MPs with broken legs wheeled in from their hospital beds and the like, in order to vote.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why on earth MPs can't vote online and so get rid of pairing and nonsense like this I don't know...

florian gassmann and InkyP like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would certainly agree the sheer dastardliness of Conservative Party chairman Brandon Lewis broke a pairing arrangement with Liberal Democrat Deputy Leader Jo Swinson in July 2018.

emerald52 likes this.
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

There are lots of oddities about Parliamentarty voting. MPs have even been carried in to vote. I like this story though:

As speaker, Bernard Weatherill played a critical role in the defeat of the Callaghan government in the vote of confidence. As the vote loomed, Labour's deputy Chief Whip, Walter Harrison approached Weatherill to enforce the pairing convention that if a sick MP from the Government could not vote, an MP from the Opposition would abstain to compensate. Weatherill said that pairing had never been intended for votes on Matters of Confidence that meant the life or death of the Government and it would be impossible to find a Conservative MP who would agree to abstain. However, after a moment's reflection, he offered that he himself would abstain, because he felt it would be dishonourable to break his word with Harrison. Harrison was so impressed by Weatherill's offer – which would have effectively ended his political career – that he released Weatherill from his obligation and so the Government fell by one vote on the agreement of gentlemen.

MAGAorMIGA and nomad like this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

That is a piece of s.. t judgment.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do MPs get to decide who they pair with? Has any of them ever said "There's no way I'm going to pair with that creep!"

9. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Harriet Harman has asked for a proxy vote, rather than a pair, for Tulip Siddiq, which I assume will be less open to ... forgetfulness? The idea was agreed in principle last February.

They'll have to move to get it organised in time.

10. MAGAorMIGA

I presume it would take a Private Members' Bill, and the dastard Christopher Chope would shout "Object!" to ensure it doesn't pass.

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

If he didn't, Philip Davies would kill it off.

12. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

To be fair to the Conservatives, whilst this was the incident that made the news, when broken pairing was investigated the figures indicated that the vast majority of pairing arrangements were broken by Labour and particularly the Lib. Dems.

nomad likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Was she told that she should have the operation on Monday or Tuesday or that she should have a C-section and Monday or Tuesday were suitable?

14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

She was told that she has an at risk pregnancy and should have a Caesarian today. The doctor has agreed to delay it so she can vote.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why is she even at work?

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I don't think she is 'physically' at work, though she will be tonight if something sensible isn't sorted out soon.

Pretty much sums up the antiquated and male dominated system our Parliament operates under.