1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tuition Fee Loan/Bursary with Masters

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by aspera, Jul 15, 2012.

1. aspera

aspera New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm Irish and I intend on applying for a primary PGCE next year (2013 entry). I have two questions:
    1) Will I still be able to get a tuition fee loan if I already have a MSc? I did my MSc in the UK, but I paid for it myself.
    2) My BA is only a 2:2, but I have heard that I would be able to get a bursary at the 2:1 level because I have a masters....is this true, or is it just wishful thinking? :)

2. aspera

aspera New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm Irish and I intend on applying for a primary PGCE next year (2013 entry). I have two questions:
    1) Will I still be able to get a tuition fee loan if I already have a MSc? I did my MSc in the UK, but I paid for it myself.
    2) My BA is only a 2:2, but I have heard that I would be able to get a bursary at the 2:1 level because I have a masters....is this true, or is it just wishful thinking? :)

3. Hi,
    I'm not sure whether funding for 2013 entry has been announced yet.
    For 2012, the answer to both of your questions is yes. You would be able to get a student loan still, and someone with a 2:2 and a Masters gets the same as someone with a 2:1.
    The answer to your first question will still be the same next year, but the bursaries will probably change. Every year seems to be different. 2 years ago there were some bursaries and also golden helloes for some subjects. Last year several subjects had no bursaries at all. This year it's mostly dependent on degree classification. So there's no telling what they'll come up with next!