1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tuition centres offering poor pay

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Jolly_Roger15, May 29, 2019.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The other day, I went to an interview at a tuition centre, which works out of a local academy. The centre wanted a science teacher to deliver up to five lessons on Saturdays to 'small groups' of students. My interviewer asked me what I would expect as an hourly rate. When I told him at least £30, he did a double take, saying that he paid his teachers between £10 and £15, and bid me good day!

I wonder what others have experienced with tuition centres.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I wouldn't touch them with a badge pole
    Unusual to go for an interview and be asked how much you think you should be paid though

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I expect they'll employ an A level student who'll think the pay is quite good.

I wouldn't want to do this, but if I did would want a higher rate than for one to one tuition. You'd need to do quite a bit of preparation to teach a group, whereas I just turn up and ask what they'd like to do.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

With some schools and agencies, it is common, these days, alas.

5. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I was once contacted by a tuition centre who were looking for volunteer tutors so wouldn't have been paid at all! Told them I was a professional and not prepared to do my main job for free. (Hours were after school and I would have had to turn down paying clients). The interviewer state that they were a charity who worked with "underprivileged and disadvantaged" children. I asked the interviewer how they were funded and whether he ran the centre on a voluntary basis or was paid a salary.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Wow! What did you reply?

7. suzette

suzette New commenter

I worked for one that was offering £22 per hr. I did it alongside my private tutoring. But generally tutoring centres are a bit exploitative when paying tutors. I know one tuition centre that was paying their tutors around £8! Plus you have to use only their resources/teaching methods and not your own ideas. TERRIBLE!!

lynden7 likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

He dismissed me, so all i could do was walk out with as much dignity is could manage.

Piranha likes this.
  9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

£8.21 is minimum wage for age 25+

lynden7 likes this.
  10. gainly

But it's only £4.35 for under 18's which is no doubt why some centres employ 6th formers.

lynden7 likes this.
  11. gainly

If you look on the website of a well known tuition centre company often found in Sainsbury's stores, you will find the pay rates for part time tutors, which are just slightly above the minimum wage for the age.

lynden7, suzette and Mrsmumbles like this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I assume there are people with no teaching qualifications or experience who will do it. I wonder if parents know that they are not getting a proper teacher.

lynden7 likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Wow...bet the kids will receive a sterling education there. Even GCSE students are at it now, selling their revision resources and doing cringy ‘revise with me’ Youtube films. Weird. One young lady has sort of morphed her aspirational singing career in with getting likes online for her version of Mr Bruff. She sells her mindmaps for two quid a shot, has her web page and online shop set up, and has even created a new blackhead remover, also sold online. Full marks for gumption and chutzpah, but very depressing for me!
    Obviously, they will know so much more than a fully traiined, experienced ‘no longer classed as professional.’ Humph.

lynden7 and Piranha like this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

My base is very near that revolting edu-mart of which you speak. I hate them. They have so much to answer for. To be honest, it’s all I can do to stop v signing them through their glass windows and mouthing my disapproval. I refuse to accept that all education is now is a sexy website, shopping cart and grinning goons in tracksuits switching edu games on and off...

lynden7 likes this.
  15. Doug1943

Doug1943 New commenter

Okay. Find a resourceful teenager who wants to go into journalism, currently taking A-Levels.
    With the aid of people here, we'll craft some typical "how do I do this?" problems for various fields. (I'd start with maths and physics.)

Let them go to these 'tutoring-mills' with a hidden camera, and see how well their exploited tutor can explain how to do the problem.

Do this for half a dozen places, add some commentary by someone who actually knows how the problem should be explained ... and you've got a documentary for Channel 4.

Crowd-source the funding, which shouldn't be much.

Resourceful would-be journalist teenager gets a stellar start to their career.

Of course, we might be shocked: maybe some university student working for £10 an hour can do a really good job!

Mrsmumbles, lynden7 and langteacher like this.
  16. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Love that idea doug

lynden7 likes this.
  17. lynden7

lynden7 New commenter

Ah, you know what I've found from the thread I started. Going to avoid them in future. The benefits would have been: finding pupils, as I've been in adult ed for many years so no contacts for primary, and no time lost travelling between pupils.

18. Mrsmumbles

I am SO in for helping with this!