1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tuesday david wiener

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mprimaryz, May 8, 2012.

1. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Has anyone used this book as a stimulus for writing. If so can you let me know what you've done. thanks

2. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Has anyone used this book as a stimulus for writing. If so can you let me know what you've done. thanks

3. I've used it for newspaper reports. I put lily pads all over the classroom and showed the image towards the end of the book with the reporters. We discussed what might be going on. Half the class were selected to be reporters and the other half were eyewitnesses. The eyewitnesses got some of the images from the book and got together to discuss what they would say. Interviews and note taking then took place. We built up a time line of events and then used that and the notes for the article.

4. Year 5 class: I made copies of a few of the pictures from the book (about 5 or 6) and in groups, the children had to arrange them in order of what they think happened (book wasn't actually shared with the children prior to this).
    Groups then feed back to the class, explaining their version of events.
    I then gave pairs a few minutes to find ambitious vocab. to describe the frogs - the children loved this part, really making them sound disgustingly slimy etc - made bank of 'good' words on baord. The children then wrote about what they think happened, after I had shown them an example I had written which they 'picked apart' to find good VCOP etc. The children loved the book and my NQT mentor was impressed :)
    Good luck with your lesson.

5. This is good:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlNzoqgcHzw