1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tuesday by David Wiesner - Anyone used this before?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chatty_teacher, Jan 20, 2008.

1. This is the text highlughted in the Hamilton Trust plans, they match quite nicely niw I've read the teaching sequence on the standards site to year 5 recount unit.

Lots of ICT links etc, sounds good, anyone started to plan this yet for year 5? Would be interested to share ideas?!

2. This is the text highlughted in the Hamilton Trust plans, they match quite nicely niw I've read the teaching sequence on the standards site to year 5 recount unit.

Lots of ICT links etc, sounds good, anyone started to plan this yet for year 5? Would be interested to share ideas?!

3. Hi, I used Tuesday with my class following the hamilton planning. It worked extremely well. They really enjoyed the investigative aspect. We were detectives for the week!
    The rich images seemed to inspire the childrens writing and certainly helped to improve their descriptions of character and setting.
    Using loads of role play and 'hot-seating' We focussed heavily on the report writing, conducting interviews etc.
    I'd say go for it. You can pick up tuesday pretty cheap on amazon. However if you use an interactive board, PM me....i may be able to help you out?

4. Oh I am glad you said it worked well! I have already ordered 3 copies for our year 5 classes off Amazon! I will be using a whiteboard, not sure what PM means? But I am assuming I need ot leave my email address!? chatty_teacher@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you for helping! I will be spending most of today and next weekend sorting this out so it works well! I wasn't particularly inspired for the last non fiction so want to improve this one!

Thanks x

5. Yes, lots of times with classes from y3 - Y6. It has wide appeal and even captures the interest of the 'hardest to reach' pupils.

It's a filmic text and you can do lots of interesting work on point of view and report writing.

The book is regarded as a classic in the States. And you can by Tuesday Frog toys there.

It has the feel of a 1950s style 'Twilight Zone' TV programme.

Enjoy!

6. Great - thank you!

7. Hi nelmar - i too am about to use Hamilton planning with Tuesday by David Wiesner, have ordered books but they have not come and i am teaching it on monday!! I will be using interactive whiteboard - have you got anything to support it? That would be great, thanks. coldcruise@hotmail.com

8. I love that book, have had it for years... the pages turn perfectly to the 'ride of the vaulkries' by wagner!!!

9. Thanks Peecee! I can't wait to use it in literacy, just hoping it turns up in time!!!

10. what was the delivery date? when do you need it by? I can send you mine if you need it

11. I got a copy form the library in the end, my book from Amazon will turn (she says!) on Monday. Ideally I would like to have scanned in some of the pages so we can look at them on the IWB! But don't have a scanner.

If anyone has an electronic version I would be sooooo thankful! (even the odd page!)

Thanks

chatty_teacher@hotmail.co.uk

12. Sorry to be jumping on the bandwagon, but having just looked up the book on Amazon and had a quick look at the Hamilton planning, I think this would be great to use with my Year 6 class. So I'd be extremely grateful for any electronic resources to use on IWB.

Thank you very much in advance!

primaryteacheruk@hotmail.co.uk

13. Hi, I am waiting for this book to arrive!! Being observed this week, Would you mind sharing any resources you have linked to the book?? Would be very much appreiciated!
    kprice8204@yahoo.co.uk

14. I used this book and the children loved it! The unit, as with most hamilton plans, drags on a bit though so I'd recommend editing it down to a 2 week unit. I made the police report about Tuesday the main piece of writing for the unit and then the UFO report was kind of an extra which mine produced as a powerpoint presentation in kiosk mode (didn't have time to get onto Hamilton's weblearner but kiosk setting makes it look and work like a website with hyperlinks etc). Any interactive resources would be appreciated for use in the future - will definitely repeat this unit with another class. clumsyjo@yahoo.co.uk

15. Hi there I know your post was from some time ago, but I am planning to use the book Tuesday next week with my class. Do you still have a copy of the Interactive resources for this book. Any chance of emailing them to me, (kandlpriday@hotmail.com) Many thanks!

16. 'Flotsam' by David Weisner is also FAB! Myclass thought it was great and I used it for a week of literacy.

17. Hi Nelma
    I was planning to use the book Tuesday with my class next week and wondered if you still had interactive whiteboard resources, and if you would be willing to send them on to me??(kandlpriday@hotmail.com). Many thanks

18. Hi,
    Am starting the Y6 Narrative unit 4 on Flashbacks and want to use Tuesday. Have you any resources please?
    rrouse@btopenworld.com
    Fiona