1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tudors and the changing role of the monarchy - planning ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by libbycharlie, Jul 23, 2017.

1. libbycharlie

libbycharlie New commenter

Hi,
    Next term our year 5s are going to study the Tudors. I have been teaching for around 26 years now (at least 9 'Tudor' topics!) and know the History pre 2014 curriculum well. However my 'tried and tested' Tudors planning is a little out-of-date and looking at the post 2014 requirements I feel I need to trim/change it a bit. Has anyone got any ideas along the lines of 'The changing role of the monarchy'? I was thinking along the lines of what makes a good leader, the rights of citizens, some UNICEP work...
    We love to use 'hands -on' activities (plenty of role-play, dressing up etc. We have a trip planned to Gainsborough Old Hall in mid October too which should be good.
    I'd be grateful of any ideas.
    Cheers

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

What about a comparison of an interesting absolute monarch against a more recent constitutional monarch...

Maybe a debate about which is the better model and why, persuasive piece, maybe a biography...

How about an advert for ideal constitutional monarch - write a job spec?

I want to do it now...:)

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

links well to British values if your school is into such a thing. ie the Tudors seem to be as anti our current values as it is possible to be , compare and contrast kind of thing.
    BUT I would think that much of your previous work is still thoroughly relevant to children, they haven't changed much even if the politicians have.
    Lots of good stuff on Horrible Histories and BBC TV too.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

ps
    the trip fits in very well with that aspect of the history curriculum, a local visit is specifically required and the work then just builds form that.
    I also linked a really good bit of cooking based on seasonal ingredients. Dried pulses for example.
    I made up a Tudor recipe book and gave children in groups options of what to cook according to ability.
    Ranged from Tarte owt of lente, to ships biscuits, frumenty, vegetable pottage, refried beans, pease pottage etc etc.
    All vegetarian so good for all pupils, cheap to source.
    Made a very presentable Tudor banquet and the children really enjoyed and scoffed a surprising number of the recipes!

I've got it saved, not sure if i posted it on resources as yet. Can do if it saves you a bit of time.

I've now saved it in resources (for free of course) in case it is useful.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Milgod likes this.