1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tudor Planning - can anyone help me please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Traceyt24, Aug 30, 2011.

1. hi all,

I am currently a NQT going into my second term of teaching. The school has just moved into planning and delivering a creative curriculum. I am really struggling with the literacy planning as i am covering plays, information texts and recounts: newspapers - can anyone help me with this, or anyone have previous planning linking in with the Tudors that you could forward me? anything would be greatly appreciated!
    I can help with regards to the foundation subjects in return, if that helps anyone!??

Kind regards

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Which yeargroup?
    Yrs 5 & 6 could look at Shakespeare, himself for biography/autobiography or a simple version of one of his plays Animated tales version.
    I'm sure I've seen a book about a Tudor newspaper somewhere. Headlines such as 'King marries for xth time!' ,'New Queen beheaded', Fight back against Armada' etc. for news stories.
    Information texts about How to strew rushes on the floor, How to make a pomander, How to make a Tudor feast, . . . possibilities are endless!

3. hiya, thanks for that i am teaching mixed year 3/4 class!
    i like the idea of a tudor newspaper - thought i could have a class newspaper as a final piece, but its the planning i seem to be really struggling with!

4. Lara mfl 05

There's a couple of links here
    http://www.caerphilly.org.uk/projects/ict/GPP/Activities/KS2/HenryVIII.htm
    http://www.caerphilly.org.uk/projects/ict/GPP/Activities/KS2/Shakespeare.htm
    both for yr3/4.
    and there's some Tudor planning here http://www.thegrid.org.uk/learning/history/ks1-2/resources/units/index.shtml#3.
    But really you'd have to adapt them, so why not consider do you have to do those particular objs. this term or might others fit better and you could fit those units into another topic later.
    Look at your expected outcomes and then work backwards as to how you're going to cover all the aspects for children to be able to do that work.

5. Last year our Y3/4 mixed class (not my class) did Tudors and linked their Literacy - they produced Horrible Histories and used lots of Talk for Writing strategies, it was really successful and the end outcomes were great - the kids also loved all the Horrible History stuff!

6. hiya, thankyou for those websites thats great. I do have to do those units unfortunately - crazy i know!
    my Tudor theme is Tudor entertainment - the question is how can i relate this to newspapers constructively considering they were not even invented lol!!
    i have just ordered some books with Tudor plays so hopefully my planning for that unit will come together - just to consider the newspapers now - so if anyone has any planning please could they let me know as i am desperate now before my brain explodes!

Kind regards

7. Lara mfl 05

Newspapers as we know them weren't, but the Town Crier certainly 'shouted news and read from something-no idea what they it was called & surely Shakespeare's plays must have posted some flyers of sorts?