1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tudor inspired art...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Jun 6, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Some collage work perhaps to make tudor roses?

2. Please tell if you think this sounds ridiculous..
    I was thinking about getting the children to make their own tudor ruff, pose with an artefact relating to exploration ( a globe, a toy ship, compass etc), take photos and print them off. They then have to paint a self portrait in a tudor style.

3. Sounds like an excellent idea to me, wish I'd thought of that when I did the Tudors!

4. Thank you! If you do think of any tudor exploration ideas, please, please, please send them my way! xx

5. Fabulous Idea!!!
    Apparently the Tudors used to copy portraits by making tiny pin pricks in all the lines of a painting. They then covered the picture in fine black powder which went through the picture and formed an image on the piece of paer underneath which could then be joined up- dot to dot stylee. Google it I cant think what it is called!!

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

My son did a picture of a queen with her head chopped off.

7. Hiya! This isn't so much to do with exploration, but we did Tudor Portraits. We looked at lots of portaits of tudors, discussing what we learned from the pictures and what it tells us about the people in the portrait. What makes a portrait, why they are important etc. We did lots of sketching skills, sketching each other, sketching through observation.

We then moved it on and asked the children to think about if they were going to have their own portrait done, what important items would they want in it to show future generations. The children thought about it and planned what they wanted to be wearing etc.

On a specific day they brought in any special clothes and items for them to be photographed in a tudor portrait style. For example we had people in their cricket/foortball kits and bats/balls, in their traditional Hindu clothes striking a dancing pose with important items in front of them. We printed the picture off then they transferred their picture into a self portrait (we gave them the option to do a friend's portrait but they voted to do their own).

Don't know if that sounds like something you fancy but my very boy heavy and mixed ability class loved it.

8. I love the idea of the chn injecting their own personality into the portraits! Great idea! Also asking questions about what the portraits show us about the time and people and what future portraits would look like.
    Thank you so much xx