1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TU x U obs...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, May 3, 2012.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I'm being observed next week and need ti pull one out of the bag (don't we all...!!!!) I was going to introduce TUx U to my Y2s. We've done multiplication using a number line so their next steps for the HA is to move onto this.
    I thought A4L - revision of multiplication strategies
    Present the sum 17 x 4 = ___ what strategy could you use? Establish that number line is not practical for this calculation due to the number of jumps it would need.
    Teach/model/practise skills (partitioning)
    Children to practise skill independently.
    Not all singing all dancing but the focus is progress.
    Does that sound decent? Could anyone suggest any good activities or intro activities?
    Many thanks!!!

2. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I'm being observed next week and need ti pull one out of the bag (don't we all...!!!!) I was going to introduce TUx U to my Y2s. We've done multiplication using a number line so their next steps for the HA is to move onto this.
    I thought A4L - revision of multiplication strategies
    Present the sum 17 x 4 = ___ what strategy could you use? Establish that number line is not practical for this calculation due to the number of jumps it would need.
    Teach/model/practise skills (partitioning)
    Children to practise skill independently.
    Not all singing all dancing but the focus is progress.
    Does that sound decent? Could anyone suggest any good activities or intro activities?
    Many thanks!!!

3. EmmaJ18

EmmaJ18 New commenter

Hi, I was observed this week doing the exact same thing with a group of my year 3's. For their main activity I gave them the premier league football table but told them e.g. Man City have scored 12 x 5 goals this season etc and they had to use the partitioning method to calculate the teams goals to see who had scored the most. Worked well - kept them interested! Each group also had a 'challenge envelope' which they could open once they had finished that activity, and in the envelope were word problems for them to apply their method too - this got them quite competative and wanting to get lots of questions done so they could open it!
    The rest of my class are still working on repeated addition number lines so this group had a seperate input on whiteboards to introduce partitoning method but they picked it up straight away. Then in the plenary they taught the ability group below them the method they had learnt (AFL - articulating their learning etc). Hope that helps, good luck!