1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TTS

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lovely.lady, Dec 5, 2011.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

A school to trust in Singapore or would it be a tangled mess to apply? Website looks professional and informative and they are advertising so, what do others think or know about the establishment?

2. Staffo

Staffo New commenter

I've heard plenty of good things about it, and have been impressed with the teachers I've met from there. From everything I know about it, I'd certainly be happy to work there.

3. -shopaholic-

-shopaholic- New commenter

Does anyone know whether the package offered by this school includes accommodation?

4. It's one of the best international schools in the world.

5. It is absolutely reputable but, like many schools of its ilk, a very demanding working environment.

6. Pretty sure that they have accommodation - def in the first year.

7. -shopaholic-

-shopaholic- New commenter

Thank you. And what do you mean by demanding? More so than in the UK?

8. mmgirish

mmgirish New commenter

Why do you think that kemevez?

9. karel

karel Occasional commenter

What are the characteristics of a good or great International School anyway? Is is about having a rigourous curriculum and high academic standards with good performance in exams? But this can be said about many schools that are not international. What about the 'International' part then? How important is that part in making it a 'good' international school and what does that part involve anyway? So, when some class an International school as being great and others don't, they are probably measuring against different criteria.

10. Panjang

Panjang New commenter

I understand Tanglin is a very good school but it's not really an international school. It doesn't even claim to be one, although it does say something about having an international perspective on its webpage. It's a British school offering the National Curriculum to serve the needs of British families in Singapore. It now offers the IB as well as A Levels so in that sense it's becoming a little more international but it's essentially a British school.

My take is that for a school to be international it should first and foremost aim to serve the International Community and not give preference to a certain nationality. Agree with Karel that we all have different criteria as to what makes a good school but I think as teachers we'd all agree that the way the school treats its staff is one of the main criteria when advising prospective teachers. TTS has a reputation of having high expectations of its staff. I know several teachers there and they all say that they're worked very hard. Lots of meetings, paperwork etc. However the salary and package is on a par with the other top foreign system schools in Singapore so if you prefer to stick with the British system but want a good standard of living, it's a good deal.