1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TTIP between the EU and the USA.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Mar 21, 2016.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Secrecy surrounds the negotiations which are being conducted by unelected bureaucrats.
    One of the potential outcomes may be a threat to the NHS through the deregulation of public services whereby international conglomerates (who have long waited for such an opportunity) will gain access to the NHS £116 billion budget.
    Should we be worried?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's terrifying.

3. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Boris Johnson, lead Brexit campaigner, says those who oppose TTIP are "left-wing misery guts globalisation campaigners".

"I do not wish in any way to inflame these numskulls (sic), but it is not just that their fears are overdone. They are talking rubbish. Almost every single objection to the current proposals is based on pure superstition."

A couple of years ago Boris described TTIP as 'Churchillian" and that it "is a massive potential win for humanity – the closer economic union between two vast territories that share a tradition of democracy, free speech, pluralism: the Western values that are under threat in so many other parts of the world; and where almost everyone has English as a first or second language."

Lexus, the leader of Brexit is convinced TTIP is a great deal for humanity. Then again, in or out of the EU he is a member of a party who will always put the interests of big business above democracy. In or out of the EU seems like we are getting TTIP whether we like it or not.

Nanook_rubs_it, lexus300 and delnon like this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That'll be me then.

Nanook_rubs_it and sabrinakat like this.
  5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Isn't this what usually happens? Civil Servants go in- negotiate and then the politicians decide if it's OK to accept the deal?

Or it might be something totally different.
    This does look rather like speculation, would you disagree?

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Very worried. I have read that if Government action reduces the profits of companies the companies may be able to sue the Government; clever lawyers will , in effect, be deciding policy. This is to fit with the USA who will defend their industries to the utmost. I think it would be even worse if the UK was negotiating on its own.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

At least on our own we could decide whether any agreement reached is suitable and decline it if not.

8. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

This documentary clearly warns us of the problems with TTIP

9. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

In fact, this documentary is probably more informative

As for 'secrecy' let me get back to you about that one!

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

enlightening.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Are Americans arguing against TTIP?

12. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Why would they if they get access to a huge new market?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's the reciprocity of the agreements that matters. The USA gets the freedom to sell cheap food into agricultural markets in return for those countries getting the freedom to sell high end electronics to the USA?

15. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

And an American Company will be able to sue Prime Minister Boris Johnson if he dares to introduce a minimum wage which reduces their profits.

Can private businessmen sue a sovereign nation? Well, they did it to Argentina.

And won.

16. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

And I recall reading that a cigarette company sued Australia govt when they removed logos from packaging, claiming it reduced their profits.
    I'm sure there are many such examples.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The US also gets access (?) to the NHS which was the question in hand when I started this topic.

18. cariadwch

In or out of the EU, our politicians and negotiators are about to cede sovereignty to global multi national corporations. Its the end of the independent nation state.
    The WTO calls the shots, UK will have no option but to accept TTIP whether we leave the EU or not.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

These are indeed frightening times for ordinary people. I can see mass uprisings in the future, all very sad and unnecessary but for corporate and personal greed.

20. cariadwch

I cant see any uprising, the British public are so apathetic and down trodden and will sit there quietly while Big global business secretly make Our government into Their government. They are putting in legal institutions that mean the people will have no legal method to challenge the decisions and operations of global big business Far from uprising, the British people have voted for a traitorous snake at our heart and it is called the Conservative Party.

kibosh and Nanook_rubs_it like this.