1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TTC v's Potential NQT job dilemma!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kate098, Dec 24, 2011.

1. @font-face {
    font-family: "Times New Roman";
    }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Hiya,

I have a massive dilemma! I am currently doing my ITT and
    due to start applying for an NQT job in the new year to start September 2012.
    However my partner has become very keen to start TTC in the new year as nether
    of us are getting any younger.

My problem is;
    if I agree to TTC in the new year and I am lucky enough to fall pregnant
    quite soon, then get offered a job, I will be due in my first Autumn term. I
    know this would be VERY frowned upon by a new HT and I am very afraid that a
    job offer would be removed as I would only be in school for a few weeks before
    leaving to have the baby. However, I know that teaching posts are very competitive
    at the moment and after hearing that only 65% of people in the last cohort of
    my course got jobs, and only 5 of them in the county, I am doubting that I
    would even get a job starting September 2012.

My counter concern, is that if we wait until July to find
    out if I do have a job, and I don't, I will (hopefully) then be pregnant by the
    spring interviews, and not at my best.

I am finding it really hard to weigh up the pro's and con's
    of TTC (which is ultimately what I would like!) and starting a new career in an
    unstable time really tricky.

Any advice/opinions will be gratefully welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

2. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Hi Kate,
    If i were you I'd spend the time concentrating on getting your career sorted first (applying for a job) and in the meantime prepare your body for TTC by eating well, exercising, taking preconception vitamins, cut out drinking etc.
    The jobs market is so competitive it would be hard to get a job if your mind wasn't completely on it. Plus they aren't supposed to discriminate against pregnancy when appointing but I imagine they do if they know at interview.
    Also look into what your finances would look like if you either didn't have a job or had a job but hadn't worked long enough to get Statutory Maternity Pay.
    Take lots of time to look into it properly - as tempting as it is!
    Coolgiraffe x

3. Hi Coolgiraffe,
    Thank you for your reply! I will have to start looking into vitamins etc.
    I am very lucky that money is not an issue for us, it is all about starting my career and completing my NQT before the 5 years. I am going to call my union to see what would happen if we did happen to concieve soon ish (and I was due during the first term).
    It is very hard to be calm about the whole thing as we are getting married early next year!
    Thank you again for your advice, it has given the OH something to think about!
    Kate xx