1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TTC verses looking for a new job...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by moonlighttail, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I am in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate your thoughts. I started TTC about a year ago, and lots of things went wrong (MC, ovarian cyst, surgery, etc). Now back in a position to be able to TTC but really not enjoying my job and would like to leave. We are becoming an academy in Sept and also I am finding the staff really bitchy and cliquey.
    But I would feel really bad if I got a job and then turned up in September pregnant! But then again I don't want to not go for jobs because I may not get pregnant! Decisions decision. I am assistant head in a primary school at the moment so the jobs I would go for would be leadership ones.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. I would say do both. As you already know, getting pregnant isn't a certainty and the stress of a job you don't enjoy won't help with that. Yes, you might be successful in TTC and job hunting, but your new school will just have to deal with that - you certainly won't be the first teacher to fall pregnant in a new job, and you won't be the last. It took my husband & I two years of TTC natually and IVF to finally get the bump I'm growing now - I left my last job 4 years ago this summer to get ready to TTC - I know I couldn't have stayed there for another 4 years, and that I am in a much better place work-wise and emotionally than I was back then.

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Hi, I'm not an expert on these things but if you do decide to move schools, especially to another academy, consult your union on how it would affect your maternity rights. E.g. if you moved to an academy somewhere else, would you be able to keep your current terms and conditions or do you automatically go onto a new contract with who knows what conditions.
    x

4. I hate to be really negative but being pregnant can be really tough. There is no way I would have wanted to start a new job at any point in either of my pregnancies. If it was me I would leave it for this year. Trying to create the right.impression with your head down the loo would cause more stress than.it is worth I think.

5. Thanks Breetgirl Imappreciate your honesty. I think I am going to leave it unless the dream job comes up. If however my current job continues to stress me to the point I cannot cope I will reevaluate things. Both times I had a MC I was got g thru super stressful period at work and I can't help wondering if that had anything to do with it...