1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to understand the impact of CVA being removed

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by vickity99, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I work in what was an outstanding school but is now a good school. Although nothing has changed in the school (apart from improvements) the outcome could be no higher because of the SATs results. I understand that under the old system we would have been given Contextual Value Added and that is why we could still be outstanding.

What I don't understand is- what does this mean? How does it work? Does it mean we have to get above national average SATs to get outstanding now? What is the formula used? What was the formula used?

Thanks for your help

2. I should add that we were outstanding until our ofsted this summer

3. From what you're saying in your post, I think you may be confusing attainment with progress. CVA used to be one of the indicators for progress. I say one of the indicators, because inspection judgements are made on the basis of a range of factors, not only historic data. CVA has been replaced on Raise online with value added scores for different groups of pupils. Very briefly, this is an index whereby 100 in primary schools is the mean. In secondary it is 1000. Anything above these figures for different groups can be regarded as above the mean. Raise online is constantly updating itself and giving additional data from which schools can judge their progress against national benchmarks. The latest of these are progression matrices where the % of pupils making above expected progress is given alongside pupils making expected progress from different starting points. Under the present framework, schools that are making less progress than national norms for each starting level are likely to be causing concern or requiring improvement.
    No, because this is attainment, not progress. Under the current framework an outstanding grade can be awarded to a school whose attainment is below the national average.

4. Not according to the definitions in the 2012 guidance.
    See this document.

5. Richyjohnson, that document refers to the framework that is not current. The September 2012 framework can be found here
    There are a number of differences, mainly that satisfactory is now not a grade.
    Under achievement (outstanding) it states :

The standards of attainment of almost all groups of pupils are likely to be at least in line with
    national averages with many pupils attaining above this. <u>In exceptional circumstances, an
    outstanding grade can be awarded where standards of attainment of any group of pupils are be
    below those of all pupils nationally,</u> but the gap is closing rapidly, as shown by trends in a
    range of attainment indicators.

6. Thank you for your help. Do you know why VA as opposed to CVA results in schools like mine being downgraded? What is the difference between the two systems? Thanks again!

7. The discontinuing of CVA is unlikely to have resulted directly in downgrading. It is far more likely that the downgrading has been a result of a change of framework. Over the years it has become more difficult to reach outstanding. For example, it is now not possible for overall effectiveness to be graded outstanding if teaching is also not outstanding. However, this was possible in the 2009 framework.
    CVA was a single score given to a school based on the progress pupils made which took into account pupils' ethnicity, socio economic factors, SEN status and sex. Schools now receive many different scores for the different groups of pupils in the school. There will be one score for boys, one for girls, one for high attainers, one for low attainers etc. etc. The full list is in your raise online.
    It is possible that this more detailed analysis of progress by groups has highlighted the fact that some groups are not making as much progress as they should. If for example SEN pupils' value added score is below SEN pupils nationally, then an inspection team would look into it and may decide that a 'good' judgement for achievement is more appropriate than outstanding.