1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to send my daughter to local Girls High School

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by geek84, Oct 27, 2011.

1. geek84

geek84 New commenter

Good Morning Folks
    <u>Please forgive me if this is on the wrong forum</u>
    Our daughter is in year 6 and we are thinking of sending her to Girls High.
    We have purchased the GL Assessment variety packs 1 to 4 which include - Maths, English, Verbal & non verbal reasoning ( as recommended by the school).
    She has gone through all the papers and she has made lots of mistakes on them. In all honesty, I don't know where to go from here!! I mean how do I help her on her weak topics?
    For example, do I go through each topic and download material from the internet in order to explain her weak topics in more detail? Do I buy more text books to go through the weak topics?
    My wife & I only decided in the summer holidays to try and get my daughter in Girls High. Do you think we are too late in order to prepare her for it?
    Thanks in advance for your response.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, not too late at all to pass the test.

But you might want to consider a private tutor for a few months to teach her. Not suggestion that you and your wife don't have the knowledge, but parents are often not the best teacher for their child.

If that isn't an option then yes use the internet and books to brush up on weak points. Also teach her how to answer the questions, worry about the understanding later once she is in the school. At this point you just need her to pass the test to get in.

Make sure she wants this as much as you and your wife. If she does (and you can probably persuade her easily enough) then do be honest with her that it will be a few months of very hard work and it won't all be fun or exciting work. But once she has a place then the next seven years of schooling will be amazing and fabulous. Make sure she knows it is just a short term huge amount of dull work preparing for a test with a worthwhile reward at the end.

Best of luck.