1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to return to teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by rooron, Jan 25, 2016.

1. rooron

rooron New commenter

I want to return to teaching, but my work history is a little scattered.
    I completed my PGCE in 2010, but didn't manage to secure a teaching position (a victim of my subject -Media), due to a need for secure employment I had to take a non-teaching role. Working in emergency services but still with an education and training focus. I was in that role for 3 years before leaving to raise my family, and have now been a stay at home parent for 2 years.

I'm really just looking for some positive inspiration, because so far my research into help returning to the professional has yielded no results. There seems to be no support unless you want or can teach maths and physics, am I missing something?

Supply work is a problem as I need to have childcare and I'm not confident enough in agency work to commit to paying for (expensive) childcare.

Is there anything else I can do to get back in?

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

As you haven't completed induction short term supply isn't an option for you anyway. You are outside of the 5 year window.

Honestly.. Not a great amount of options, particularly in your subject; unless you can convince an academy chain or post compulsory to take you on. In all due respect, had you said you had been working in tv you may have a chance. With you though it is unlikely as you can't use short term supply to build you back in

3. rooron

rooron New commenter

Thanks, you have further confirmed what I have concluded from my research.
    I have capacity for other subjects but they are all about as a desirable/competitive as Media.
    Working in the media was never going to be a viable option for me - I don't have the disposition (that and I need security and stability in my employment something that industry doesn't really offer). This lack of production experience is of course the primary reason for my difficulties finding a teaching role way back in 2010...
    I will focus on academies and post comp, and keep trying until the end of this year's recruitment and then (if I am not successful) draw a line under it and move on. I will be so sad if it comes to that, but I will find something useful that I can do if it does.
    Thanks again

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am really sorry about this. The Uni that took you on for a PGCE in Media should have warned you about the lack of job opportunities . . .

have you tried contacting the Return to Teaching people?

Best wishes

5. rooron

rooron New commenter

Thanks, I've registered already - no information so far.

I have no doubt I wouldn't have listened even if they had told me, I was full to the brim of youthful optimism at that time.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Is there any way of getting in touch with RTT by phone?

7. rooron

rooron New commenter

There is, for anyone else who might need it the number is on their website but it is 08009850971.

They have nothing yet, but a pilot scheme is being prepared for returning teachers who may be able to teach any of the Ebacc subjects (this may be an option for me). But they are not sure when this might start.
    For anyone who wants to know I was told that this would be school based (schools have already been approached to take part) and would offer subject knowledge enhancement, up dates on classroom practice, mentoring and support, and opportunities to practice your skills.

Maybe there is light at the end of this tunnel...

8. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

You could possibly try studying again? Open University and perhaps do a 1 or 2 modules in English Literature and English Language (if you have the money for it). I think that's one of the options you could look into.

There's scarce secondary jobs out there with media. I know a few in my dept. have English (and Media) degrees. Which is why I can only suggest you try the Open University route if you want to teach.

9. rooron

rooron New commenter

Thanks, I have considered it but until I'm working again going back to studying isn't affordable, bit of a catch 22 there.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm really sorry that I can't just wave a magic wand for you.

:(

Let's just hope the RTT works out.

Best wishes

11. teachagain2015

teachagain2015 New commenter

[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

13. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta New commenter

I just have one suggestion.Try teaching online. It expands your horizon . It is true that Maths, Physics teachers are the most sought after ones but in this vast world it is quite possible that you will find learners who will require your expertise. I myself teach online and can assure you that it is worth trying. Different companies are venturing into online training and courses. Explore all possibilities and seek help from any forum or individual. I am sure you are going to make some headway in coming days.

hemnes likes this.