1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to rescue a home-schooled 15-y-o

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by doreen_pechey, Jun 24, 2020.

1. doreen_pechey

doreen_pechey New commenter

I am a retired self-isolating teacher of Mathematics (I taught Maths in grammar schools, a tertiary college, and degree-level communications theory), so for fun (?) I offered to tutor a friend's home-schooled 15-year-old. He should take an IGCSE next year. I am now "seeing" him (Zoom) four afternoons each week. His parents don't like Maths!

They started him on a USA programme (trapezium v trapezoid, right-angle triangle v right triangle, etc. !?!?!?), but stopped for some reason. I vetoed the USA programme. I am trying to give him interesting work, but I also go back to Key Stage 2 for what he has missed. I have found past papers for him. He is actually quite bright, but not yet where Maths is concerned.

He is now learning his multiplication tables (I test him on some at the beginning of each session), but still cannot do division. For example, he knows 3 times 5 is 15, but ask what 15 sweets shared between 3 people is, and he just guesses. I have got him to the stage where he doesn't freeze when percentages are mentioned - I had to teach him those because he was doing a different GCSE that needed percentages and data graphs.

I got two second-hand copies of David Rayner's "Core Mathematics for IGCSE", but they are very slightly different editions, so I cannot refer him to an exercise in his edition :-( His family is also self-isolating.

The graphs in my edition start explaining about y=mx+c which is not where he would be comfortable. So I need to find something with more relevance to the real world. I've done stopping distance of cars at various speeds, conversion of Celsius to Fahrenheit, kilogrammes to pounds. So now I'm looking for other suitable examples.

When I started on Algebra, I had to have equations with apples and bananas, or similar. So he can attempt simultaneous equations as long as they are obviously about something real. I'm hoping to get him onto more abstract algebra with x and y in them. I haven't mentioned brackets yet.

Sorry this has been so long, but I hope you can understand my problems. Any helpful suggestions gratefully received. Thanks a lot.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

not really specific to your query...but these are some free websites that could have useful resources (Gcse based rather than iGCSE, but I imagine lots of content is similar)
    corbett maths, mr barton maths, pixi maths
    apps to help wdk times tablesith basic skills: king of maths,dk 10 minutes a day

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

In IGCSE there isn't a non-calculator paper. If he doesn't know his times tables by age 15, in my experience, he's unlikely to ever know them properly. Maybe it would be better to concentrate on showing him how to do things on the calculator.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I'd agree that using questions from a website might be better as then you can share your screen on Zoom and show him the questions which makes it easier to work through them. You could email him questions to do for homework.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Save My Exams does specifically cover IGCSE maths, but you have to pay to access a lot of the content.

6. doreen_pechey

Thanks, I'll look at those.

7. doreen_pechey

WOW! That's interesting. His mother has only just told me that he's doing IGCSE, so I haven't looked at the papers properly yet - I just downloaded a few. I'll relax about his mental arithmetic.

8. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

9. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Have a look at ten ticks L5/5 algebra and L6/1, it shows the application of algebra, so this may enthuse him!

10. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

gainly likes this.
  11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The CGP books also include an online edition which would be useful when teaching on Zoom.

adamcreen likes this.
  12. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I don't mean to be rude, but it sounds like he is very very behind. I have taught adults who are at a similar level to your students. Personally I would look at functional skills. Level 1 is approximately upper KS2/3 and Level 2 is KS3/4. A pass at level 2 is the same as a grade C/4. The great thing about them is everything is 'real world' it will give him the basic skills to function as an adult and it covers easier content but not in a babyish way. All the content on the functional skills tests is also on the GCSE or IGCSE but the GCSE has more and harder content. Once he passes the functional skills tests he could still carry on and learn the extra material for the IGCSE exam. There is however a non-caluator element to the Funtional skills.