1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to move house

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Polkadotspot, Aug 4, 2011.

1. I am so fed up with estate agents!
    After living with my grandmother for almost a year, my partner and I finally found a gorgeous house that was ideal for us. We paid the £400 holding fee (extortionate!) and sent off our details for credit checks.
    A week later, the estate agent informs us that the landlord has asked them to continue advertising as I am unemployed, even though my partner earns more than enough to support us both.
    In three years, we have tried moving 5 times. Only once has it actually gone through.
    Sorry for the moan, I'm just so frustrated. I've got no job, no house and I don't know how many more times I can deal with falling in love with a property only for it to fall through after paying hundreds of pounds for it.

2. I am so fed up with estate agents!
    After living with my grandmother for almost a year, my partner and I finally found a gorgeous house that was ideal for us. We paid the £400 holding fee (extortionate!) and sent off our details for credit checks.
    A week later, the estate agent informs us that the landlord has asked them to continue advertising as I am unemployed, even though my partner earns more than enough to support us both.
    In three years, we have tried moving 5 times. Only once has it actually gone through.
    Sorry for the moan, I'm just so frustrated. I've got no job, no house and I don't know how many more times I can deal with falling in love with a property only for it to fall through after paying hundreds of pounds for it.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Could you ask the estate agents if they would accept a guarantor to allow you to take the place.
    My parents have acted as guarators for me a few times. They never had to pay anything as I knew I could afford the places. Horrible estate agents. Was there a minimum wage limit for the property - often around £11,000 pa which I'm assuming your husband is well above if he is supporting both of you. I would go into the estate agents again and get cross with them!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I didn't realise the estate agents checked you out and then told the sellers. Do you have a mortgage promise? Isn't that all you need to get a mortgage and as long as you've got a mortgage, what has it got to do with the seller?
    It's not like the estate agents are lending you money.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sorry - is this for renting or buying?

6. Sorry, I didn't mention that we're renting. Trying to, at least.
    The estate agent told us that we would need a guarantor as I am unemployed (at an extra £100, of course!) and we were happy to accept that. However, the landlord is adamant that we cannot rent the house unless we pay a year in advance. The estate agent says there is absolutely nothing more they can do.
    It seems so ridiculous that I get this worked up over buildings. Oh well. We're getting in touch with some more agents about viewings. I haven't seen any house I like as much as that one though and now we're having to look at the next town as there's not much going here. That's a bit frustrating in itself as the travel connections aren't as good for getting to schools.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Surely they can't possibly keep your holding fee?! x

8. dande

dande New commenter

I would also say that they should return your referencing fee if you were upfront with them about the situation before you put in the referencing forms.
    You will both need to be on the contract but your partner can have full responsibility for the rent if they earn enough to cover it.

9. I posted a reply a while ago but it seems to have got lost in the approval process. No doubt it will appear after I've sent this.
    I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that we're renting.
    The estate agent said we would need a guarantor as I'm unemployed (at an extra £100 of course!) and we were happy with that. The landlord is adamant that he doesn't want us living their though. The agent has said it's out of their hands as the landlord gets the final decision.
    The estate agent asked during the viewing whether we were employed, which we were honest about, and she worked out right there whether my partner earned enough to cover the rent alone, which he did.
    We're actually very impressed with this company as they're going to refund our fees. The others we have used have always kept them. They stipulate in the documents that it is a non-refundable fee so unfortunately if you want the house, you have to risk it. I'm just glad we get our money back this time.