1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to make SPaG fun - SPaGvent!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vonsmall, Nov 25, 2015.

1. vonsmall

vonsmall New commenter

Greetings colleagues!

As a year 6 teacher struggling to get my kids in any way enthused with learning the, quite frankly, ridiculous amount of grammar they are required to know come MAY, I wanted to ask what my fellow professionals have up their sleeves to hook the kids?

For myself, I've made an advent( or SPaGvent) calendar display with SPaG terminology revealed each day which the children can choose to research themselves and bring in examples with explanations to be stuck up in exchange for an SPaGvent treat.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Pie Corbett has just produced a new edition of his Jumpstart Grammar. It is now yellow. Some excellent ideas.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Last year I paired the children up and gave each pair a couple of aspects of the SPaG curriculum to learn inside out and prepare a small workshop type lesson on. They then did a round robin so that each pair taught every other pair in the class. They found it hugely motivating and our SPaG results rose astronomically. I plan to adapt it this year for the new curriculum.

4. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I decided the only way I could get the ridiculous quantity of grammar covered was by teaching it in a highly rigorous, old-fashioned (and, what I thought, boring) way. The kids love it.

But I do have a bit of a weird class.

5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I'm exactly the same. Year 3 and 4. Two lessons a week, very old fashioned chalk and talk, kids have their own Spag book. They copy off the board quite a lot and then do plenty of practice sentences. They mark their own work. Over time they're building up a Spag dictionary which they can take up to the next class. Occasionally, we might have a little quiz on the stuff covered so far. These always show how far they've come in their knowledge.

No 'wow factor', no differentiation for the sake of it. Almost a Victorian style. And the kids practically beg for these lessons and absolutely love them!

6. Itsme22

Itsme22 New commenter

Nick909 I'm really interested in the way you did your SPAG. What information did you give the paired up children? Just a couple of examples would be great. Thanks

7. Harribear

Harribear New commenter

I am a Year 4 teacher and we have resorted to the 'chalk and talk' model, where we have a quick teaching point followed by questions about various grammar points e.g. add the punctuation, which of these is a verb, what's wrong with this sentence. I made a PowerPoint show with different slides and we do these every other day. In between, we do an edit lesson, where there is a very poor example of writing (it is surprisingly hard to write badly!) which the children rewrite correctly. They seem to love it and because we revisit areas often it is making a huge difference. One of my boys was extolling the virtues of subordinate clauses last week - I nearly fell off my chair!

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It might be on using inverted commas correctly and the children woulld be given some example questions, and then have to devise a short lesson with some teaching and some sentences for their 'pupils' to complete. Or a series of sentences that needed to be sorted into 'statements', 'commands' and 'sentences' for example.

The children were trained on using questioning to assess knowledge and progress and the idea of using extension questions as well.

I do chalk and talk SPaG as well but there's a balance of games and this sort of thing as well, especially in the afternoon when SPaG can sometimes seem like a slog.

9. Tony_Soprano

Tony_Soprano New commenter

I use songs I've written to teach grammar (and other subjects too in fact). I'm recording these songs and creating videos to go with them which I'm then putting on a website I've set up for teachers: songsforteaching.co.uk.

Please check it out. I recommend Pronoun Hoedown and Adverb Anthem. :)

Hope it's okay for me to post a link to my site here. Apologies if this is against forum rules or etiquette.