1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Trying to get a teaching job in NY whilst living in the UK (have visa)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Antigone9, Mar 30, 2019.

  1. Antigone9

    Antigone9 New commenter

    I already have a green card (visa to live and work in the US without being tied to any particular employer). I have been applying for jobs in New York and I'm getting no responses at all. Is it a hopeless task without being there for interview? Or maybe I'm making some other glaring error?

    I had three interviews (two Skype and one face to face) for an international school and seemed to be very close to getting the job, but didn't ultimately.

    I have an MA and ten years' teaching experience in the UK. I taught EFL abroad before that. I'm head of department. I work for a selective school, so I have been applying to independent prep schools. In any case, I don't think I'm qualified to work in a state school.
    Any advice appreciated. Thank you!
  2. Treesa

    Treesa New commenter

    Are you tied to New York? Try the private French schools - they might have something...
  3. Arepa

    Arepa New commenter

    The National Asssociation of Independent Schools has a database for teaching positions. Carney Sandoe, a placement agency, also has a database. The Sunday edition of the New York Times lists openings in education on the back pages of the Sunday Review section (it is available at some news agents and in university libraries in the UK).

    Carney Sandoe does not charge teachers for placement, but there are agencies that do. Please read the fine print!

    Good Luck!
  4. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Schools in the US often do their recruiting over the summer for the coming academic year. You may be too early.
  5. lilyflower18

    lilyflower18 New commenter

    For most schools, you will need to be certified/licensed (different states call it different things) to teach in your particular specialism. The requirements vary from state to state, but you cannot teach in a public (state) school without one.

    Here is the website for New York State http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/certprocess.html

Share This Page