1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to find extra work in schools

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by welshwizard, Oct 14, 2011.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

This seems very strange are the university trying to pass on the responsibility for organising school placement to you/ Surely the oplacements are part of their partnreship links and the ITT programme clearly planned to describe exactly what is involved in the placements; the amount and scope of teaching, support etc. May be worth reminding the university that you pay tuition fees for the course!

2. Or your tutor is just suggesting you get some more informal school experience before your next formal placement? I'm sure you will be given opportunities to do some teaching, esp working with a group or doing part of a lesson, as you are already on an ITT course.
    If this is the case, just contact a school and ask, using whatever links you already have - like where you did your initial lesson observations prior to applying for your course. It's not easy, as most schools get a lot of enquiries and they are too busy to accommodate you, but a good idea is to ask someone who works in a school as teacher, TA etc to speak to the headteacher. It's more difficult to turn down a request from a colleague than a complete stranger!

3. For my course, I had to arrange a self-directed placement every year in addition to our formal placements. I think it's quite a common practice. However, we were recommended not to contact partnership schools and to try and get experience in non-school settings.
    When I did need to contact local schools to visit/ teach as part of a module (which was also a common practice), I would try and find people I knew to mention it to staff members in passing. My mum would mention it to my little brother's class teacher or my grandma would mention it to a head teacher friend of hers. As Alec says, it's easier to get into a school if you have a link to it.