1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to find an NQT job for September from abroad

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jessicamarias, Oct 17, 2019.

1. jessicamarias

jessicamarias New commenter

Hello,

I graduated from the Secondary MFL PGCE in 2017 and have since been working in a British International School abroad (which doesn't offer NQT). My contract is due to end this June and I am looking for a job to start in September in the UK.

I have only small windows of time to come back for interviews (4th - 11th April which I'm pretty sure is Easter holidays in the UK too) and mid June onwards. I would have to come back to Colombia and stay until the end of July for other reasons so it would be a risk to buy tickets for June and then not get any interviews.

What are the chances of being offered an interview mid June to start work in September?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, I do not think that this is a good idea. Why not get a teaching job at another international school, perhaps somewhere in Europe? Most schools in the UK do not do SKYPE interviews, so it would be a lot easier going to another international school. In addition, I get lots of e-mails and messages from teachers in the UK who want to leave and go overseas. Send me one of those TES Conversations and perhaps I can of some help.

3. jessicamarias

jessicamarias New commenter

Hi hippo,

Thanks for your reply. I have been teaching TEFL for around 7 years plus 2 years working in an international school so I'm tired of living abroad to be honest and I'm ready to go back to the UK for family reasons. I want to do my NQT year to become fully qualified. I also get messages from teachers working in the UK looking to escape which is worrying! However I have decided I am moving back whatever happens.

If it isn't possible to get a job from abroad I think I prefer to get back at the end of July and wait for the right opportunity, now I just have to decide what to look out for!

:)

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, family is a very strong reason for moving back to the UK. Yes, it is quite possible to make the move back into teaching in the UK. Some schools might see your international experience as having value, but alas not all will do so.

After my mother died, any enthusiasm I had for returning to the UK evaporated. Nowadays I cannot even be bothered to go there for holidays. If you do not have a car and somewhere to stay, then a trip to the UK can be very expensive.