1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to explain the difference between action and action adventure?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by 54321stopmakingsausages, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi all. Have just done pitching a film with my classes; lots of good ideas , but many were more action that action adventure. I am trying to get across the difference.I am tying myself up in knots a little so have come up with the following and would appreciate your thoughts.
    I decided to try and explain the difference through audience; i.e. AA audience likely to be younger children (under 15) so will have simple plot, less/minimal or comical violence with little gore/few deaths shown overtly. Lots of mine have done terrorists kidnapping a family member and then protaganist on quest to find them but without much adventure and not really suitable for a young audience.
    Am I sending them on the wrong path by making it audience led?? Any help appreciated.

2. Hi all. Have just done pitching a film with my classes; lots of good ideas , but many were more action that action adventure. I am trying to get across the difference.I am tying myself up in knots a little so have come up with the following and would appreciate your thoughts.
    I decided to try and explain the difference through audience; i.e. AA audience likely to be younger children (under 15) so will have simple plot, less/minimal or comical violence with little gore/few deaths shown overtly. Lots of mine have done terrorists kidnapping a family member and then protaganist on quest to find them but without much adventure and not really suitable for a young audience.
    Am I sending them on the wrong path by making it audience led?? Any help appreciated.

3. It sounds like you're on the right track. Essentially with Media as long as you're focusing on genre, audience or purpose you can't be on the wrong path as they all inherently feed into each other - one is always defined by the other two.
    You could talk to them about implicit/explicit violence, i.e. in both Action and AA films people die, but in Action you will see the blood pouring out of a bullet wound and the person dying whereas in AA you won't see it, but you will still know the person has been shot, is bleeding and will die. Essentially Action films are typically for adult males as they have 15/18 certificates and musclebound heroes who aren't so bright (think John McClane in Die Hard) whereas AA films have a much broader audience to allow families to watch them together. The hero will usually be much more intelligent and resourceful (think Indiana Jones - he can swing over a bottomless pit and shoot a gun, but he's also a university professor).
    There's been a fair amount of debate as to whether certain films are/aren't AA genre in my department; I would say err on the side of caution and stick to anything with a 12A certificate and below - anything above and you risk moving too far away from the core values of AA films.

4. Fantastic. Thank you v much.

5. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

I think the "adventure" bit needs to suggest a quest of some sort - the main character / hero should be looking for something - not money - secrets, a lost place, the key to a riddle, etc.
    The "action" comes along the way in pursuing the quest.
    HTH

6. Yep, got you. So,I think I will have to put them off the quest for finding kidnapped loved ones etc?