1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to conceive

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by rwegointocomputers, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Hi

Some of us on the extremely broody thread mentioned a TTC thread, so here it is!
    We have decided to try for a baby! so excited and hoping I wont have to wait long...if it was this month I have checked and it would be due end of November which would be great!

Went to Asda today after work...only been trying for one day yet I found myself in the following aisles:
    * baby clothing
    * nappies
    * pregnancy tests
    * baby books
    Was really hoping not to see anyone I knew!! oh, and I didnt buy anything! What will I be like when I get pregnant?!?!?

Anyway, hope others want to join me on here and share our news and experiences

anyone got any tips re getting pregnant other than the obvious one?!

2. Hi

Some of us on the extremely broody thread mentioned a TTC thread, so here it is!
    We have decided to try for a baby! so excited and hoping I wont have to wait long...if it was this month I have checked and it would be due end of November which would be great!

Went to Asda today after work...only been trying for one day yet I found myself in the following aisles:
    * baby clothing
    * nappies
    * pregnancy tests
    * baby books
    Was really hoping not to see anyone I knew!! oh, and I didnt buy anything! What will I be like when I get pregnant?!?!?

Anyway, hope others want to join me on here and share our news and experiences

anyone got any tips re getting pregnant other than the obvious one?!

3. mermy

mermy New commenter

Good luck to you and everyone who is going to join. You have a great journey ahead of you. Start taking folic acid now. Otherwise - have fun making babies. And warn your OH that he should make the most of it now. As soon as you are pregnant your sex drive will probably be non-existent for a while. Poor men, first so much and then nothing [​IMG]

4. Woo! How exciting!:)

I'll let you in to a secret, I ordered a TTC book today on Amazon LOL (Damn this cold need to go back to work before I empty my bank account!).
    I reckon I will get the coursework marking done for June 15th and start going for it then that way my sisters wedding will be well and truly out the way before I start to show and I will be less stressed after cswk, hopefully making it easier.

gives me a bit of time to lose some weight and sort out the folic acid type stuff, other than tablets, what is good for folic acid, I seem to have in my head it is broccoli but I might be wrong haha
    H x

5. thanks Mermy! I have been taking folic acid.

I told my husband that I am giving up the pill for lent and hoped that he wasnt giving up sex!

i am very excited but a bit scared now that we have actually decided to try...

6. haha giving up the pill for lent, wicked!

7. mermy

mermy New commenter

[​IMG]

8. I have started TTC too! we were gonna start in May but went to Drs in Jan and had high BP and told to come off pill - hubby decided we might as well go for it now................. am v excited but a little nervous too..........could take ages.I have been v broody for a while and lots of friends have now got them.
    Have been taking folic acid since Jan and trying to cut down on the wine consumption!!

9. I'll certainly join you all. We have decided to just go for it, can always think of reasons not to do it and there will always be reasons not too!
    Rwe - I always look at baby stuff, yesterday I was looking at nursery ideas lol!
    I'll look forward to us all sharing the hopefully wonderful news that we have been successful in our efforts. I have warned the OH that he'll have lots to do now, maybe not so much after!
    HelenLou you'll have to let us know what the TTC book says, I think it's important we don't all over analyse everything though. I have been super sad this week, the last time I was ovulating we were careful, and I still keep working out how far pregnant I would be if somehow we were in the 2% that the contraception doesn't work for lol! How sad?!?
    Trixiebells good luck for you too. Hope you BP sorts itself out now you have come off the pill. I have also been taking Folic acid for the past week. God I'm so impatient, I want to be pregnant like yesterday!!
    Tips are only as far as I can see, work out when you're ovulating and have lots and lots of sex! [​IMG]

10. I am so excited about this thread, it is going to be so nice to have people to share this with as it's not something I really want to discuss with everyone, as like someonw mentioned before I don't want people asking all the time.
    I came off the pill at new year, been married 18 months and am so ready for a baby!!!
    Good luck everyone
    xxx

11. Hi Everyone
    Can I join too? I stopped taking my pill at the new year too.
    I am excited nervous and scared. I am 39 so am worried that I won't be able to conceive or there will be complications. I am trying not to get too excited as it really may not happen.
    I went to see a gynecologist at the weekend and had an ultrasound and some hormone tests - all were fine. I am having some more hormone tests on the third day of my next period (if it comes - fingers crossed it doesn't!) I am having these tests as time is of the essence and he suggested it would be good to check everything out because of my age.
    Good luck everyone.
    xxxx

12. Thank you Mossop, here's hoping we don't have to wait long!!
    Welcome to the thread Katey-H. I know what you mean, I don't want to discuss it with my friends/family as they are well can be quite judgemental. I already have my friend asking me when I'm going to try all the time. Her baby is 4 and half months now.I went to see them today and OMG I want one!
    Good luck Katey!

13. Hi gettingaway. You must have been writing at the same time as me, as yours arrived a few seconds before mine.
    Welcome to the thread, good to hear your tests so far are fine. Good luck for the next ones, and good luck. Hope it happens soon for you!

14. Hi Chloe82,
    Thanks so much - you too. I think one of the hardest things for me is not to obsess about it and convince myself I am pregnant all the time. I wonder who will be the first to post great news on here!
    I hope it happens to all of us soon. Baby dust being liberally sprinkled!
    xxx

15. Hi everyone, I just wanted to wish you all luck. To help with times and ovulation and all that I used www.mymonthlycycles.com. After a while I got to tell when was a good time! I didn't bother with ovulations sticks. Baby dust to you all...

16. ooohhh, just been on the ovulation calculator on baby centre and my fertile days are now until next Wednesday!

thinking I dont know much about biology...is this the case as I only stopped pill a couple of days ago?

fingers crossed

really weird, on three occassions today I felt like I was going to cry, literally like tears could just roll out...weird - and for no reason! would have been rather embarrassing in year 9 french!

17. Well been to Doctors and BP eventually came down after about 5 attempts! - must be due to all that rushing around at work - she wants it retested in the Easter hols to see if it comes down then. I told her we were TTC (I had to tell someone! - she really had to know though)and she said I can still go on BP pills if I do get preggers so no worries thankfully

. She told me to stop drinking alcohol (not that I drink loads I might add!), eat healthily and avoid all the usual foods if I do get preggers soon.

I have been feeling sick yesterday and today but am not due to ovulate until this saturday/sunday !

18. are you stopping alcohol prior to conceiving trixiebells?

19. Ovulation sticks are handy if you want to work out ovulation BUT
    a) are completly addictive and very hard to stop once started!
    b) expensive but you can buy online ( and cheap preg tests)
    http://www.homehealth-uk.com/
    c) some people get bit freaked out as end up feeling they are having sex 'to order'

If you are just starting ttc, its probably as well just to see how you go for a couple of months as ov sticks etc fuel an obsession that is very easy to develop!!
    dust to you all
    x

20. I never bothered with ovulation sticks, I'd always been regular even when not on the pill so using a site like the one I did told me when I should have been ovulating and (TMI alert) I could tell by the mucus when was a good day for a roll! Like sandandwater says, give it a couple of months as you may not need them.