1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to compare June 12 GCSE results with Jan 12...help please!

Discussion in 'English' started by swallowtail, Aug 24, 2012.

1. So, as with a lot of centres, our GCSE results are 10% below predictions this year - our worst for years. I'm just trying to work out what would have happened if we had submitted in Jan and want to check I'm doing this right (we do AQA). I have got our Unit 3 (CA) marks, which we submitted in June. Anything below 60 UMS is a D or less. I have submitted the raw scores into the AQA UMS converter for the January 2012 series, and some pupils would have come out with 60 or above UMS points had we submitted in Jan. Am I right in thinking that UMS boundaries don't change, so that that would have meant they would have been awarded a C in that component in Jan but obviously weren't in June?

Also, how do I compare grade boundaries for the Jan and June exams? I know there's no point putting raw scores from June Unit 1 exams into the UMS converter for Jan, as the grade boundaries are meant to be different. But how different are they? Can anyone link to the grade boundaries for the respective exams, as I can't see these anywhere? Thanks very much!

2. So, as with a lot of centres, our GCSE results are 10% below predictions this year - our worst for years. I'm just trying to work out what would have happened if we had submitted in Jan and want to check I'm doing this right (we do AQA). I have got our Unit 3 (CA) marks, which we submitted in June. Anything below 60 UMS is a D or less. I have submitted the raw scores into the AQA UMS converter for the January 2012 series, and some pupils would have come out with 60 or above UMS points had we submitted in Jan. Am I right in thinking that UMS boundaries don't change, so that that would have meant they would have been awarded a C in that component in Jan but obviously weren't in June?

Also, how do I compare grade boundaries for the Jan and June exams? I know there's no point putting raw scores from June Unit 1 exams into the UMS converter for Jan, as the grade boundaries are meant to be different. But how different are they? Can anyone link to the grade boundaries for the respective exams, as I can't see these anywhere? Thanks very much!

3. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

You can find all conversion from raw to UMS here. You should be able to search by date to give different ones.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

You are right in that the UMS don;t change, it how many raw scores make up the UMS scores that changes. It will always be 180 for a C but how many raw scores is anyone's guess these days.

In January it was 43 for a C on Unit 1.

Currently running round contacting students, parents & sixth form colleges with pretty much bad news all round. I am still full of sound and fury and pretty much signifying nothing...

4. I've just done some converting - if we had entered our students for unit 2 (S&L) and 3 (CA) in Jan, loads more would have got Cs for those modules then than did in June. How is that fair?!

5. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Yep, same for us - 20/180. It isn't fair. He wants us to go linear and then we get penalised for doing so. The whole thing is a complete and utter f&*k up.