1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying to become an ICT teacher blog

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tonyhrx, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Given all the recent government interventions into the ICT curriculum I'm wondering what sort of support they will give the existing ICT teachers and if there is any intention - as in my case - to return teachers to the profession with the sorts of skills they want.
    Currently the answer seems to be errr... none.
    I'm blogging my progress here http://returntoteaching.org where I hope to at least amuse you but more importantly leave a record for anyone else who wans to become a returning ICT teacher.

2. Given all the recent government interventions into the ICT curriculum I'm wondering what sort of support they will give the existing ICT teachers and if there is any intention - as in my case - to return teachers to the profession with the sorts of skills they want.
    Currently the answer seems to be errr... none.
    I'm blogging my progress here http://returntoteaching.org where I hope to at least amuse you but more importantly leave a record for anyone else who wans to become a returning ICT teacher.

3. There is no money, so I guess the answer is no support, no resources, no guidance.
    Are you sure you want to return to ICT teaching?
    Personally, I love ICT and all the great things that you can do, but the current attitude from Mr. Gove worries me intensely. All these great ICT things take time to research, develop, experience, learn and experiment with - then OFSTED will drop in on your doorstep with no notice and expect to see an outstanding lesson.
    I'm due to complete my ICT development plan for the year ahead this month. What do I do now? Will my subject even exist?

4. I agree with your points of view completely. Across the whole range of government activity they 'run ideas up the flagpole' and see if any stick. Witness the retreats on selling off forests, etc etc.
    There is nothing worse than un-planned change - which is basically what we have with Gove's proposal - and the uncertainties that brings. Imagine what working in the NHS has been like for the last 10 years if you want to know what unplanned change is about.
    From that perspective I'd definitely want to be an ICT teacher!
    But there is a point here that the world has changed more quickly than the ICT curriculum and something needs to be done if we want to produce pupils who have the right skills to get jobs in what's going to be an era of mass unemployment.
    But, yes, short term it's a bummer when you do loads of work that might be wasted by September.
    Good luck!

5. I'd like to be an ICT/CS teacher but I'm hampered by not having the ECDL module.