1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trying for a baby and looking for a new job

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lil miss, Jan 24, 2011.

1. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 10 months now. Last year I decided to look for another job but ended up withdrawing my applications to concentrate on baby-making and knowing that if I fell pregnant before I started the new post I would lose my SMP entitlement.

I'm really fed up in my current job and can't face spending another year here. I don't want to put moving on hold any longer but I'm worried in case I get another job and then discover I'm pregnant. As amazing as this would be, I'm not sure where I'd stand. Could the new employer withdraw the job offer? And if I've already handed my notice in, could my current employer then force me to leave?

I'm just really confused. I don't want to put baby-making on hold as it's something we both desperately want. But I'm utterly miserable in my current post and I feel I really need a change. The thought of losing the SMP isn't so much of a worry now that we've had some time to save a bit of cash.

Also, I feel really bad for considering moving to another school when I could possible end up going on maternity leave shortly after starting but I just can't put my life on hold for the possibility of getting pregnant. It hasn't happened in 10 months, it might not happen for another 10 (or more!).

Sorry if this is a bit confusing. Would just really appreciate some advice...

Lil Miss x

2. Sorry - there were supposed to be paragraphs in there but google chrome is stupid! x

3. Absolutely not - discrimination on grounds of pregnancy is classed as sex discrimination and therefore illegal.
    I'm afraid so - you've chosen to leave and they have the right to look for a replacement.

4. Thanks so much for the feedback - really appreciate it [​IMG]

lil miss x

5. I fell pregnant during the summer holidays just before I started my new teaching post. Because my new school was under the same LEA as the one before I was still entitled to my maternity benefits/SMP. Basically your contract of employment is with the LEA (dispite the fact you are recruited by and contracted to the school). Therefore if you move schools within the same LEA (and have been working for that LEA for at least 1 year) and will have completed 26 weeks of employment with the new school by your due date then you're covered.
    Hope this makes sense.