1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Truth or Dare?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Dec 26, 2015.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

In the absence of a Christmas Party thread or Baubles Quiz, how about a game of Truth or Dare? At the very least it might fill a few moments between now and the next big push, towards Hogmanay.

I'll go first - Truth: which single event in your adult life is most responsible for shaping your current sense of self?

*anyone can answer, any number of posters can respond to the same Truth or Dare, but to pose your Truth or Dare, you must have responded to at least one.*
    **Dares must be verifiable, for example: I dare you to find and post the answer to *insert question*

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Okay, I was going to respond but that's too hard a question. I'd be lying if I narrowed it down to just one single event. Or even if I claimed I had a coherent sense of self.

*burbles off to do some soul searching*

kibosh and coffeekid like this.
  3. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

In all seriousness it was probably getting through teacher training because at the end of it you are qualified for an actual profession.

Guess which laptop I am going to buy in the sales.

Guess which programme I am watching on TV.

Yes, I am very very bored.

kibosh likes this.
  4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I wonder what the 'dares' will consist of? :D

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think we have just had two dares from ninenotes . . . .

cissy3 likes this.
  6. ninenotes

Both of them will cause a lot of controversy.

:eek: :D

cissy3 and kibosh like this.
  7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

A Samsung?

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think Ninenotes is watching Ben Hur.

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

A re-run of Top Gear?

ninenotes likes this.
  10. ninenotes

@kibosh The Argentina one.

But you're wrong about the laptop. Told you it would cause controversy.....

kibosh likes this.
  11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Something with apple or mac in the name?

12. ninenotes

No no no no no.

Though I have to admit I did think about it.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Acer

kibosh likes this.
  14. ninenotes

:rolleyes:

The most boring choice possible but they last forever.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Good to know as we have an acer. It's ace!!

16. ninenotes

I was almost swayed by an HP because it has Bang and Olufsen speakers but all the owner reviews said they go kaputt within a year.

Yes the kids will laugh at me because I've got a dad computer but who paid £900 for a light up apple? Joke's on them.

17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I don't really think it could be put down to one defining thing....... series of things maybe..... many things form us really.
    When buying my new car I was sitting with the salesman doing the paperwork and on him hearing I was a teacher he went on to explain he had had 2 extremely influential teachers in his life. One primary one had smacked him for some wrong doing and had treated him very fairly. The other ...when he said her name I did a double take..... she's a friend and ex-colleague. One who influenced me very much in my role as a HoY and one whose career ended suddenly after an unpleasant incident with a (yet another ) incompetent head. Turns out he was an ex pupil from years ago "I thought you were a little familiar' he said "We were all scared of you!!" (wonderful epitaph :) Well this lad had finally cracked at treatment from some none too nice kid and one day he turned on the bully and had walloped him..... my friend split them up, sent this chap to her office... and when she got to him there she simply said "Well done " to him - " but you do realise I have to give you a detention" and they both laughed. He held her in such great affection it was lovely and I know when I see her after Christmas she will get a buzz from it.

Those were the days..... when HoY could act on their own initiative and life as a teacher didn't consist of being ground down.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

For me that is true, but maybe for other people there is one event, like parenthood, a change of career or one dominant relationship. My question was poorly worded, I should have used the word 'factor' rather than 'event., and I should have made it clear that the factor could be something that happened within a few moments, days, or even spanned years.

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Leaving home to go to art college. If I hadn't done that I would have had a very different life, and not a better one.

Am I supposed to ask a question now?

kibosh likes this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Meeting my sweetheart.

Had I not done so, I very much doubt I'd have done a fraction of the things I subsequently did. It's not possible to describe why in a succinct way, neither would it be true to say she was the driving force behind the various career changes I made, nor I behind hers, which combined, enabled us to enjoy better and more fulfilling lives than either of us might have had if we had never met.

It's just that there's a synergy in our relationship that gives the pair of us the confidence that we shall succeed in any venture we undertake.

The interesting thing is that our separate interests, skills and values would have make us an unlikely match had we advertised them on a dating agency. A counsellor friend I had an interesting discussion with, explained why it isn't uncommon for "chalk and cheese" pairings to enjoy the most enduring relationships, since they allow the projection of repressed emotions through the partner. It took me a while to understand what she was on about, but I think she is absolutely right.

My previous wife in contrast, had such a stifling effect on me that I was afraid to do anything that wasn't a safe bet. She's a lovely person and we've remained good friends since we divorced. Knowing what I now know about life, I realise that I would have been a stifling effect on her too and we were both better off without each other.

All of the above might be food for thought for anyone hoping to play Cupid. Goodness knows what goes on in the minds of those who arrange marriages in the modern world.

Sid_Pubes and kibosh like this.