1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trump impeachement hearing to be televised live

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 13, 2019.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'll get the popcorn!

Jamvic likes this.
  2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

It's compelling watching. Loathsome Trump loyalist Devin Nunes is trying his best to flip the conversation back onto the Bidens and Hillary Clinton and Democrats. He is failing.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Have I got this right ....they go through all the impeachment process but then the House of Representatives, where the Republicans have a majority, gets to vote on whether or not Trump gets booted out of office?

(That is, it is an expensive waste of time?)

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Sort of; like a replay of the Clinton impeachment. Except it's the Senate where the trial is held and the final vote happens.
    I recommend following Michael Tracey if you want to hear a sharp and fair assessment. He's a Democrat but he's also honest.
    https://twitter.com/mtracey?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

dumpty likes this.
  5. MAGAorMIGA

No. The Senate gets to vote, and yes it's currently Republican-controlled, and yes they need a two-thirds majority. As to whether it's a "waste of time" I'm not sure. The proceedings have revealed to the American public the character and unfitness for office of their President. They will also reveal the spinelessness of the Republican Senators, who are so petrified of Trump's base that they will place Trump's survival over the oath they took to defend the Constitution.
    Of course there's nothing to stop Republican Senators from hearing the evidence and voting to convict, but we all know they won't.

BelleDuJour and smoothnewt like this.
  6. MAGAorMIGA

Republicans on the Hearing trying to aggressively question the witness - all by way of winning brownie points for Trump. Jim Jordan and Jim Ratcliffe - you're pathetic!

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

@MAGAorMIGA Thanks and yes my error, got my houses/chambers mixed up.

Indeed, a 2 thirds majority to vote for impeachment in the senate does seem.....impossible.

8. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I'm curious, what makes you think that President Trump is unfit? And, I disagree with you on what the Americans think of him.

9. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

I'm not convinced they will have revealed the character and unfitness of the President. Much like Rees Mogg being a disgrace, it is obviously the case and shouldn't need discussion. But people still vote for them both and try and defend them.

10. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

Keeps people distracted from the real crimes the American state commits.

11. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Ah so it has the same purpose as Brexit?

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, it’s a bit like someone reading the Russian report out live to Johnson and then painstakingly asking him about every single piece of the report, live on television until the general public finally realise he is corrupt and bribed by billionaires as any other politician.

It’s not about the impeachment. It’s about excoriating him live, rather like Johnson currently seems to face every time he gets near the general public. He must find it a little soul depressing. Blair arrived like a rock star. Johnson is booed at every event.

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

14. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

The lack of Brexit (as yet) is a crime against democracy, but that is another thread.

artboyusa likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A hard Brexit will be a crime against the economic prospects of the country.

Many people don't see that yet - but they will.

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

When they revel an actual impeachable offense, let me know. But since none has been committed, none will be revealed.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Impeachment is a serious matter for a President - Richard Nixon chucked the towel in to avoid it, and look what happened to him.

He was granted a Presidential pardon by his Vice President Gerald Ford.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No, he was pardoned by his successor, President Ford.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I stand corrected on the title but basically his best buddy in the White House let him off the hook. The same parachute will probably be offered again if Trump has to bail out.

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Trump won't have to bail out.This thing is pure political theatre. BUTif this farce ever did get to the Senate (which is the last thing the Dems want) and if enough GOP senators turned quisling to convict him because the GOP doesn't love Trump anymore than the Dems do, there's nothing to stop him running as an independent candidate. He'd win by a landslide, it would humiliate the Dems and completely destroy the Republican Party. And from my point of view, those are all good outcomes.