1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Truly, the UK has gone bonkers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by pixiewixiepixie, Jan 20, 2016.

1. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I can't see what the problem is, you either wear trousers or a skirt depending on preference, what is so politically correct about that?

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Many girls where trousers to school - nothing to do with wanting to dress as a boy, more to do with comfort & practicality. If boys want to wear skirts - especially in summer - why not? Scottish kilts are always acceptable as male garb.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Uncontroversial.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If you had seem my legs it would be controversial :(

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Whoops! Wear!!!!

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Nothing wrong with this. In other countries men wear robes rather than trousers anyway, and women have been wearing trousers for a very long time. So long as all the relevant 'bits' are covered up it's not a problem.

Middlemarch likes this.
  8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

This seems to fit in with current ideas on sexual equality.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It seems like an excellent policy. Cannot see anything wrong with it at all.

yasf and JL48 like this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I don't think anyone who makes reference to political correctness generally has opinions that have any credibility.

11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Don't understand your problem with this. It shocks me that you think it is madness.

yasf and Maths_Shed like this.
  12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Wearing trousers for boys and girls, especially in the winter months, and for teachers of both sexes makes 100% sense. If you walked down an average street, you'd see that 99% of women wear trousers today. They're so comfortable for everyone.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I an waiting for the boy really daring to use a skirt...Although we are not supposed to worry about gender labeling via clothes, i can imagine the comments he will get in private from most other lads and girls in some places.......probably in England anyway.I suppose a lot will depend whether he wears if non uniform .or short and tight..Football in a skirt should be intersting.
    Yes i do Know one boy challenged and wore a skirt to school.im talking about t other kids comments.

14. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Girls have been made to play all sorts of sport in skirts. Most play football in shorts but I suspect the PE uniform will be similar to the actual uniform with a shorts and skirt option. Even in my day, most of us wore our gym shorts under a hockey skirt anyway.

15. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

For some reason I have this vision of girls at my primary school (1962) prancing around in the school hall with their dresses stuffed into their knickers which made their bottoms look like stuffed pumpkins. Not a pleasant sight !

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It reminds me of the Canadian premier's reaction to the question about why gender equality in his equally divided new Cabinet was important to him. "Because it's 2015".

It doesn't surprise me either that this comes from Brighton College. They've always been a little bit ahead of the curve.

yasf likes this.