1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Truffle

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Piranha, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

A kind friend gave me a small jar of minced black truffle. I used some of it in a very simple sauce to go with home-made pasta, and it was very nice. I would make it again, but does anybody else know of a different use for it, please? Hoping to impress Mrs Piranha with my culinary skills. Thanks.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Add some truffle to coarse sea salt and leave to infuse.
    Then grind salt and truffle and use on triple cooked chips.......divine!
    Or make truffle butter to have on steak.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sounds good, @BelleDuJour - thanks. It reminds me that I did once have some really good truffle and parmesan chips in a restaurant.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

truffle and parmesan are wonderful together!

If you're feeling ambitious you could try some sort of ravioli type thing...

try googling, and good luck!

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Thinly sliced or grated in an omelette or scrambled eggs.

Slice thinly and use in a white wine and cream sauce to have with chicken supremes, You could adddried morels to deepen yet further!

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

anything that normally has mushrooms in tends to work well. Adding to simple dishes like mushroom risotto or creamy mushroom pasta adds an extra depth. Also a small amount in gravy with roast beef.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Thanks for the ideas, everybody. I have a race tomorrow (my first ultra!) and will have my usual pasta this evening, and I am going to make a sauce with a mixture of wild mushrooms and add truffle as @Stiltskin suggests. I will try other ideas in the future.

nick909, Stiltskin and primarycat like this.
  8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Hope the ultra goes well! I'm very impressed!

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It was harder than I expected, @nick909. 30.6 miles by my watch, mainly off road with 2 litres of energy drink in my Camelbak. The path was difficult in places too. I finished in just over 5 hours, which I was disappointed with until I saw that I was 18th out of 75 finishers, and the first OAP.