1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

True Hero

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Aug 16, 2019.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49368649

Indeed a very brave Policemen who paid the ultimate price protecting us.

A number of males between 13 and 30 have been arrested. I wonder what part of society they represent, but don't really care as long as they spend a considerable amount of time locked in a cell,

2. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

I imagine they didn't set out to kill - but that's what they've done. A man's life lost, his family shattered, and ten men now with a death on their hands.

I hope they're charged with and convicted of murder.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Particularly sad for his wife: they had been married for only 4 weeks.

4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Don’t know about others but when I was growing up did we ever hear of stories like this?

The people who have done this are worse than wild animals.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

No. And I'm thinking about people who lived in real poverty. My family were mainly shipyard workers, who often had NO income when strikes were on, as you didn't get much in the way of benefits back then. No free school meals, no youth clubs, yet no one EVER did things like this.

Laphroig and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sadly I believe it is pretty obvious what part of society was involved in the robbery and attempted murder. A group of males including a boy spotted breaking into a farm...

The ten who have been arrested are all from Four Houses Corner, a council-run travellers’ site around three miles away from the incident (source The Telegraph).

I shall say no more.

:mad:

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

PC Sidney Miles 1952.

10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The BBC are describing it as a caravan site! It is a travellers’ site - obviously they do not want to upset that law abiding group of people.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A caravan site? To me that's Haven Holidays in Weston or Newquay.

So.

Definitely NOT a caravan site then. :rolleyes:o_O:mad::(

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yes.
    Unfortunately police officers have always faced extreme violence from criminals. Long as the list is that @FrankWolley posted, it details is just a fraction of the issue. It doesn’t include extreme and life-changing injuries, severe assaults where the officer eventually returned to duty, or the daily round of random punches, kicks and weapon attacks that police have always had to put up with.

bombaysapphire and Jesmond12 like this.
  13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This is my part of the country. I drive past where the murder happened every week. It is minutes from us. And yes.....TRAVELLERS. As soon as we heard about this we all knew it would be travellers. There are so many and they respect nothing. They set up home on other people's land, leave rubbish, steal and generally are unwelcome BECAUSE they are like this! 3 travellers recently broke in to our local pub, 200 yards from Belle Towers, and hit the landlord's son over the head with a crowbar then robbed the week's takings. The guy is lucky to be alive! Landlord witnessed it all and remains traumatised. The police caught 3 travellers responsible and guess what? They were bailled! That's the last we will ever see of them.
    I hope they throw the book at this lot.
    I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing travellers protest they are peaceful, law abiding citizens who just want to live according to their traditions. Bull manure!
    Everyone here is totally devastated, shocked, upset..........there are no words.
    When it happens on your own doorstep it is even more shocking..............:(:(:(

14. renegade29

renegade29 New commenter

How dare you say that about Travellers Belle Du Jour.

They are a marginalised chunk of society and we as educators should to our utmost to protect them and encourage future generations to respect and value their important heritage.

Just because there may be a few Travelers who occasionally break the law, don't tarnish all of them with that brush.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You live with them and tell me not to say that.
    I speak as I find.
    They have stolen from my neighbours and murdered a police officer in my neighbourhood.
    Your post is in extrememly bad taste in the light of this thread!

Funny.......a 'new' commentator today and first ever post.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  16. renegade29

renegade29 New commenter

17. renegade29

renegade29 New commenter

I think we need to avoid prejudice against any part of society given the job we undertake.

You cannot judge all travellers by the actions of a few

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Well said BDJ.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I thought you were being ironic with the first two paragraphs then I read the third! Really?

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

It came as no surprise to me that Travellers were to blame, from the location of the murder and the describe of the suspects it was my first thought. The surprise would have been if it wasn't them.

Now they might have a bad and unfair reputation and as a whole be the victims themselves of a few bad uns in their community. But a lot of people, including myself, are not convinced by that. I'm happy to accept any alternative lifestyle provided it doesn't involve; thieving. vandalism and now murder. This is the image Travellers present to the rest of us.

If I am wrong its up to the Traveller community to clean up their act. They could start "literally " by not leaving a mess everywhere they go, then by handing over to the cops the criminal element within their community.

But the Law could also help by not letting any petty crimes they commit go unpunished because they are a "special case" since as we can see when this happens these petty crimes become very serious.