1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

True Grit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Feb 23, 2011.

1. is fantastic.

2. is fantastic.

3. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Enjoyed it, but in terms of expectations set by reviews, thought it was a bit disappointing with an ending which was a bit out of kilter?
    Worth seeing though..

4. Has the ending been re-written then?

Or, like The Italian Job, is it actually a different story?

5. Looked it up

NOT a remake

A different version of the original book

So, never having read the book I do not know if the JW version and/or the Coen version are true to the ending

6. I know what you mean about the hype of reviews. I felt a bit like that about The King's Speech and wondered why I was the only person slightly restless at times.
    Not sure the ending was quite right. I loved the sense of space and the music.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I'll buy it. When the dVD is down to a fiver. And I bet that will be before Christmas.

8. I actually loved it.The dialogue was delivered brilliantly and the acting by the young girl was excellent.
    A very different film to The King's Speech but I thought it was just as good in its own way and I would definitely recommend it.
    Now is there anything else worth seeing at the mo?

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I personally find this current fad for re-makes a complete travesty. 'True Grit' was John Wayne's moment of Oscar winning glory. Love him or hate him he was a screen legend and that should be enough. Likewise, why did anyone remake 'The Flight of the Phoenix'? Don't even get me started on 'Planet of the Apes'.
    What next? Zulu? Lawrence of Arabia? Brief Encounter? Some Like It Hot? It's a Wonderful Life? Casablanca?
    Why can't people just suspend their disbelief for a couple of hours and view classic films in their original context?

10. I loved the 'new 'True Grit'. It was a re-make but it was based on the book wheras the first film was not. It was a good old western with a message about how you can let time pass without seeing the people who are important to you. Well thats my take on it anyway. Fabulous acting and brought a lump to my throat.

11. I liked it too. I didn't like Jeff Bridges any more or less than John Wayne in the lead role but I though Haylee (or however it's spelled) was very good as the girl. I don't remember the John Wayne version using the lost arm bit but maybe that's my memory - but it certainly is unusual for the date of the novel: Mattie's quest is born as much of revenge as of righteousness, and an older novel might have required some retribution for that. Can't see where Portis dragged that up from in 1968 but can see why the JW version left it out.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Some new versions of films are better than the original, even if it is just because the style of the original has dated. Take "The Searchers" for instance; it is a classic, but full of twee corny bits and obvious studio shots. The "new" version of Psycho was an exact copy of the original, but with colour and different actors, and was not as good as the original. But even classics like Ben Hur were remakes of much earlier films, some from the silent era. Hollywood has always done it, and will continue to, to greater or lesser success. Alien anyone?

13. 'Never Let Me Go'

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Watched it last night and I am a big John wayne fan. I enjoyed it as it kept almost word for word to the original script. The only bit I didn't like was the extra scene at the end, a bit unneccessary in my opinion.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as other Coen Brother films. I still thought it was a very good film, but for me it could have been produced by almost any director and the traditional 'Coen vibe' was just too diluted, with 6 other producers, including Spielberg, involved. I truly expected it to be much more noir, absurd and menacing. I prefer the original. Maybe I just expect too much from the Coens now.

16. I think a lot of remakes are smartarsy and self-referencing. I saw The Taking Of Pelham 123 remake and found it entertaining but much less dark and edgy than the original - Pelham lite.
    Anyone remember the god-awful Cybill Shepherd remake of The Lady Vanishes?