1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

True Detective season 1

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 26, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On episode 6 on DVD... next up episode 7... don't you go spoiling it but...

Oh god this is such a good show... so so good. The writing is so tight, so clear, the directing is spot on, lovely scenes, lovely shots. Episode 4! Epic.

And the acting. I have renewed respect for the work of Harrelson and McConaughey.

Highly recommend this show.

Can't comment on season 2.

Rhoswen77 and Spiritwalkerness like this.
  2. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

The first series blew me away, so to speak. I actually had to stop multi-tasking as it kept my attention from the opening credits. Sadly, I found myself back to my usual taking/making phone calls, marking, posting on Forums, committing to memory US states and locating them during Series 2. It really didn't hook me at all, so much so I don't think I'll even bother with Series 3 (I'm sure there's a third series in the pipeline)

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Series 1 was amazingly good. The two principal actors were excellent. Couldn't be bothered with series 2.

4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Am I having a deja vu moment? Has True Detectives been discussed here before? I'm recalling then talking about Sons of Anarchy (which I was gripped by for the first 2 series but then it just got increasingly more violent.

5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Season 1 is the best thing I've seen on telly for a long time. Wasn't so keen on 2.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Season 1 got a 10/10, Season 2 got a 8.5/10 . . .from me. Currently watching 'Banshee' . . . .has anyone seen it?

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Watched ep7 yesterday... it's like time stops, just absorbed completely in the show. Amazing amount of immersion.

And I didn't mention this... the music... so good.

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think the slow pace and drawling speech help with immersion

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect you might be right kibosh... but there is something else to it, ethereal, a mythic quality, hard to place my finger on it. Beats most UK TV drama in a cocked hat. Beats most US TV drama as well.

Love the long helicopter shots over the Louisiana landscapes.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

There is something 'else' to it . . .lots of something elses, actually :) e.g. the way the plot isn't spoon fed to us and we actually have to engage and THINK . . my brain cell was well tired after watching Season 1

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I also liked the depth to the characters . . unlike some other dramas they didn't 'give away the goods too soon' . . . their hidden depths were revealed gradually whilst the intricacy of plot and relationships were exposed

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I get what you mean kibosh, you have to pay attention, follow the plot points. There is no 'previously on True Detective..' or easy character recaps where someone says 'Remember when we...'

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yeah, something hypnotic and mesmerising about it . . . .check us, we've started a pseuds corner :D

lanokia and bombaysapphire like this.
  14. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I'm still singing the theme tune.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I need to watch it again . . . I've entirely forgotten the music :(

16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I thought Season 1 was quite excellent.

Season 2 I watched all eight episodes back to back from around 7 p.m. Saturday night to 4 a.m. Sunday morning. It was a struggle when I realised episode eight was one and a half hours long.

Season 2 was really good too. I see McConaughey and Harrelson were credited as producers on Season 2.

Both Seasons 1 and 2 are akin in that it's wash-out cops dragging themselves through a corrupt law enforcement system.

But it's good stuff.

lanokia likes this.
  17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That's our style in this house too, jude. If a series is good and we know it's going to be good, we wait until it's all been aired, then have a glut. Can't be bothered in waiting a week between episodes . . . in fact I can think of a fair few series that would have been ruined for us if we had had to wait.

I hope that McConaughey and Harrelson have input (were they co-producers in season 2?) into Season 3 too.

18. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I enjoyed both series, but preferred the first one. There seemed to be more mystery and intrigue.

I also kept expecting Vincey to do something funny, especially in the early episodes! Rachael McAdams was fab, though.

19. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Yes, it was fantastic. Utterly compelling on every level. OH had borrowed it from a friend and it lay around for a while. I didn't think I would "like" it. Wrong!

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@Rhoswen77

Our copy lay around for a bit [I confess it was a Christmas present] so 8 months. Neither of us sure if we'd like it. Oh if we'd only known!