1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

True cause of teaching crisis identified

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lanokia, Nov 20, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah it's the Daily Mash, make that clear from the start so it isn't serious...

But when satire websites take stuff more seriously that politicians and the mainstream media you have to laugh.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...to-millions-of-little-********-20151120104018

SCHOOLS are struggling to fill teaching posts because the job involves being in the same room as children.

The National Union of Teachers revealed many positions are being covered by temps because of a massive increase in pupils who answer every question with ‘go and suck your mum’.

An NUT spokesman said: “Instilling a thirst for learning in a young mind is a wonderful thing as long the young mind does not belong to some ghastly little ****.”

The union has asked the government whether new incentives can be offered to entice people into the profession, including elite ‘super-schools’ with state-of-the-art, completely empty classrooms.

English teacher Anne Thompson said: “I get through the day by the thought of locking one of them in a stationery cupboard that I’ve filled with bees.”

Meanwhile, the NUT confirmed the shortage is particularly high in maths and science subjects, due to the propensity for adolescents to act the ***** when they get bored.

cissy3 and sabrinakat like this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Get Into Teaching.

lanokia likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thing is... it isn't the kids... I don't look back and think 'wow hated those kids' it was the management and the systems they developed to handle non-existent problems.

morvey and InkyP like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

After the day of supply teaching that I had today, I am thankful I only do supply; I would never take on a permanent post because of the awful behaviour of some of the students and I feel extremely sorry for the teacher whose classes I taught today. On Monday I am booked to go to a great school where the students in the main are polite and hard working; and it is not unusual for one or two to thank me at the end of the lesson. Those kids are a pleasure to teach.

Lara mfl 05 and cissy3 like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There are many factors at play and almost all kids are capable of acting like little s**ts if they feel like it.

I've gone back to a class after they were covered and had to read them the riot act or a quiet "very disappointed in what I heard about you" talk. Classes that to use that clichéd phrase "are perfectly alright for me". Likewise other teachers in my department who had to get the big stick out for some wayward "lovely" group gone bad.

On the other hand I have done supply in the past and been in exactly the same situation as you were today, and of course some classes are just bleddy hard work for anyone.

Lara mfl 05 and cissy3 like this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I thought about this and the truth is that if you have kids with a high degree of conscientiousness then actually you need fewer teachers and more resources and technology. Kids with less conscientiousness need more teachers and cannot cope so well with independent learning technology and resources.
    You could set up your free school with a conscientiousness entrance test and then rake in the money by calling yourself an executive academy trustee and only employing two teachers for every 100 children.
    Humour aside, this suggests that the government would be better off spending money on developing conscientiousness in the early years to save money in the later years. When you see a class with only 12 kids in there, what sort of kids are they? (Don't say private school kids because you know what I mean!)

cissy3 likes this.
  7. drek

drek Star commenter

I know A level maths and science teachers who want to leave because so called experts and fake outstanding observers (peer climbers), keep coming in to their lessons, as part of their and the line manager's evidence collection, asking them why the children are not singing maths songs or 'performing' the latest 'learning strategy' that 'everybody else' is doing. They must be blind!
    Then after these poor teachers spend feverish hours trying to adapt ridiculous non learning strategies, completely unsuitable for their particular subject/group, a visiting mocksteder ex HMI/ofsted 'free lance expert' comes in to ask why they are 'lowering expectations'.
    Nobody serious about teaching maths and science can survive the slippery slope to stay in the job, just to become a fake outstanding 'performer' for too long.
    Or they could but then they'd be asked to attend meetings about 'poor results'
    A lose lose situation.
    Anyone teaching in an 'outstanding' school does not have to even scratch the surface, to see it has nothing to do with teaching and learning, and everything to do with power and money that too dirty money!

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I think you'll find that this is the future of education - regardless of conscientiousness. This model has been proposed, and much of this 'teacher shortage' has been created as an excuse to allow and justify exactly this model.

guinnesspuss and drek like this.
  9. drek

drek Star commenter

Absolutely, the people claiming shortage are the very people who understand and undertook Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge courses on market conditions and how to control them!
    They know what they are doing next to address the shortage'. They have planned it already to fit in with budget cuts for the poor and budget increases for those that don't need it... It is only the suckers that think they are being selected to carry out their wishes, because they are 'outstanding' that don't get it till it's too late. They are paid not to think ahead.

lanokia and guinnesspuss like this.