1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Troublesome girl's

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucyhayhurst, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi,
    This is the first time I have posted on here and I am looking for some advice. I am an NQT who is finding the first year enjoyable, however, I have a group of girls (year 4) who persistently fall out and bicker over little things.

I generally have to speak to them most lunchtimes etc but i'm beginning to get niggled by the same thing every day. I have tried teaching lessons about friendship in PSHE but I can't seem to get through to them!

Any advice...???

2. Hi,
    This is the first time I have posted on here and I am looking for some advice. I am an NQT who is finding the first year enjoyable, however, I have a group of girls (year 4) who persistently fall out and bicker over little things.

I generally have to speak to them most lunchtimes etc but i'm beginning to get niggled by the same thing every day. I have tried teaching lessons about friendship in PSHE but I can't seem to get through to them!

Any advice...???

3. I had a very similar problem with some year 4 girls this last term. I am also an NQT and my mentor advised that we told the girls that if they couldn't play together without bickering they would not be allowed to play together. They continued to bicker and so told them that they could not play together for the next week unless supervised by a member of staff. Then on the Wednesday and Friday I took a big skipping rope out and played skipping games with them.
    I was suprised because it worked well.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've also solved this sort of problem by simply not tolerating it. If you are nasty today, you don't have playtime tomorrow. End of story.

I only make them miss one playtime as you really are just making a point rather than teaching behaviour. They are year 4 they could recite to you all of the reasons they should be nice, they do know what is good and bad. They are just in the habit of being mean.

When staying in I just make them sit alone at a desk with nothing to do except think about being nice to their friends.

Takes a few weeks, but they do learn in the end. Remember it has taken 4-5 years to reach this point, it won't be solved in a week.

Best of luck...You CAN crack this.