1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble in top set

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by islandme, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm having problems with 3 boys in my top set. They are obviously able, but slightly less so than the majority in the group - they are part of the 'popular' group at School who believe they are 'too cool for School'.
    Basically they are really rude to me. I'm an NQT, 22, and annoyingly - look really young for my age. I know this shouldn't have an impact, but I just feel that I cannot control these three students. They chat to each other across the room, challenge the activities I set, and constantly back chat me with 'witty' comments when I ask / tell them to do something, resulting in the class laughing.
    The rest of the clas are really hard working, lovely to teach and well behaved. These 3 students though, are dominating the lesson, and I'm so ashamed that it's got to this point! I have control of my other classes, which are worse behaved than this one, with this class the individuals causing the problems just do not respect me at all.
    Most lessons I have to send them out, I talk to them calmly and they settle for a while - but then it starts again. They've been spoken to by HOY and been put on report, and whilst they are on report they behave and 'play' the system. There's no throwing chairs, swearing, fighting or anything as extreme as that, but what is starting to cause problems is the way they speak to me as a person!! I've lost my confidence with this group, merely because of the three dominant individuals who are disrupting the lesson.
    I would really appreciate some advice on tactical ways to deal with these individauls.
    Sarah

2. Each one is attempting to become your alpha male. Get a senior member of staff to put it to each of them in turn (and without any audience) that "they may fancy you, but..." - this might have the effect of embarrassing them sufficiently that it stops.
    Plus, don't let them back in for one or two lessons. Make them work in silence, in the company of someone senior (again, separate from each other). They need to be reminded that they're there to work.

3. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Sounds a lot like one of my Year 9 classes (and they definitely don't fancy me). Don't be embarrassed. Don't give up. Keep them on lesson report for a long long time if that helps. For however long it takes. Sit them as far away from eachother as possible next to the quietest most hard-working pupils - on the sides of the room works best as they have the least influence, in the middle is the worst place for them. Don't tolerate any rudeness from them and don't let yourself be drawn into any discussions about the value of certain activities - you're the teacher, you decide what needs to be done.

Good luck.