1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tropical Cyclone Yasi is due to hit Far North Queensland tonight.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by yasimum, Feb 2, 2011.

1. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Glad our Cairo friends are safe and sound but if you are the praying sort, please send one off tonight for our bothers and sisters in FN Queensland. TC Yasi has intensified into a category 5 cyclone with predicted winds of 300km per hour and a storm surge of over three metres.
    My little cousin lives in Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays and has already lost power but luckily has a small generator so is giving updates. Hopefully, unless it continues to track south, they won't cop the brunt of it but Cairns is right in the direct hit zone. How much more can the Queenslanders cope with.
    Good luck friends and family and I hope we wake tomorrow with news that it wasn't as catastrophic as predicted!

2. Prayers Sent

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

High-Anglican prayers will duly go out to everyone in Cairns and particularly those who work and shop at Coles Supermarket in Spence Street, where served as a member of the Australian Proletariat, in the backstage veggie-slicing-and-packing team.
    Hope your friends and family get through OK, yazza.
    Queensland... Cairo... life here in Ruritania begins to seem dull.

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Thanks loops.
    How funny you should say that. We are about to head off to our little Anglo-Catholic church for a prayer vigil. Work will be interesting tomorrow, particularly if we have plus 40 for the third day in a row!
    Cuz says all is well at the mo except for loss of power. At least her hubby is home with her this time. Last time he was working away. Scary to go through alone.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You're clearly far more important / famous than I knew Yasimum, to have a Cyclone named afer you. Or is it actually you on a mad rampage after reading inane TES posts.
    I have a good friend who married a Sheila and moved Oz. Don't know if he got wet last week. On the plus side, when this has 'blown over' things will start back to normal soon enough.
    Good luck down under!