1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Troops to teachers! Yet more from Gove!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by books09, Dec 10, 2010.

1. The political / education world has gone quite mad! This is from the London Evening Standard (24/11/2010):

'Hundreds of battle-hardened ex-soldiers are to be drafted into classrooms to improve discipline and tackle yobs under landmark education reforms announced today.

They could be fast-tracked from the front line in Iraq and Afghanistan into schools as teachers within six weeks.

Education Secretary Michael Gove said: ?I can't think of anything better than getting people who know all about self-discipline, teamwork and a sense of pride into our schools to complement the huge numbers of great teachers we have there at the moment.?

He praised Britain's armed forces as ?among the finest young men and women we have in this country?.

Those without a degree will have tuition fees paid by the taxpayer to do a two-year training course under the ?Troops to Teachers? programme. Officers with degrees could be in classrooms within weeks.

The Department for Education is working with Sandhurst on how to fast-track former officers into teaching.'

It is also highly insulting to suggest that six weeks is sufficient to train a teacher - and implies that classrooms are battlefields!

2. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

When they find they can't send poorly behaved children on 5 mile runs, or take them outside for a bit of 'drill' they may reconsider their change of career, IMHO...

3. perhaps that is the point - I can just see it now - the current pupil support group will become 'military operational support', where naughty kids are sent to take part in drills and runs! lol - that should sort 'em out!!

4. Surely they are in some schools, though? [​IMG]
    I agree with the others; it's all well and good saying the the Army at great at discipline, but former soldiers won't have any more powers than other teachers, so I don't understand why the government thinks they will automatically be better at behaviour management. 6 weeks of training is ridiculous, as is paying for their tuition fees; it again implies that former soldiers are somehow better than anyone else, and why should they be prioritised for incentives?

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

There are some horror stories out there about the lack of support for ex servicepeople once they leave the armed forces. I understand a significant number of homeless are ex-forces.
    I do not see that it is wrong to pay for service personel to retrain as teachers. We currently pay for them to train for a number of other professions. (Lot of ex forces service gas boilers for example). Given the risks and traumas frontline troops face, I think there should be an expectation that we invest to settle them into civilian life once their term has come to an end.
    However - we do need to be aware that not all services prepare people for teaching, I have come across a wide range of employability from services people - from the superb to the almost unemployable.
    Mr Gove is aware of the moral need to look after ex forces - and is not the first politician to make such suggestions
    P

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Why not train them to be police officers instead?

7. Gove has stated "Not every school would welcome the RSM from Sandhurst joining their ranks, but
    I have to say there are a number of heads I've talked to who'd bite my arm off
    to have him doing PE on a Friday afternoon." I wonder how PE teachers feel about their subject being relegated to stereotypical images about drill.

8. It's just going back to the beginning of PE in state schools really! I'm almost resigned to the idea that the white paper just has a word missing and Gove actually did mean to say "ex-service men to be retrained as PE teachers"
    I'd guess that the idea will throw out some absolutely stunning PE teachers and a much larger number of frightened or frightening ones.
    Devils Advocate says that drilling the lazy, exercise hating snotty little toads will do them the world of good - "never did me any harm" etc.

9. As a retired Warrant Officer of 25 years service and a further 8 years in education (Primary, Secondary & Special) to date I feel suitably qualified to comment on this "new" idea! Core values instilled during training include; loyalty, courage, integrity, discipline, respect for others and selfless commitment all of which become embedded deep within the individual. It's not about blind obedience but seeing what needs doing then getting on with it. If you are able to inspire and enthuse young people with these qualities and add in a dash of pride for themselves, school & community so much the better surely? I do wonder though whether my former colleagues will actually want to come into education, despite the excellent rates of pay, short working day and long holidays given the extraordinary amount of government interference and red tape you all have to deal with, it seems to take for ever to get anything done or a decision to be made and, worst of all, no tea & toast in the Mess at breaktime!

10. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

I suspect that you have been misled about "the short working day". I worked in a variety of jobs before I became a Maths teacher (Electrician, Software Engineer, in the oil industry and also in retail. My working day as a teacher is longer than in any of them!
    How long do you think it takes to mark 200 books and prepare 44 one-hour lessons per fortnight?

11. After 8 years in the profession...I don't feel misled, basing my comment as it were on obvservation. School starts at 08.45 and ends at 15.30...the rest, pre and post lesson admin are all done without any "customers" so shouldn't take too long really.
    PS (I apologise for omitting the expression, "with my tongue firmly in cheek" from the Forum version of my letter which appears in this weeks TES). [​IMG]

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

No-one has said that a former member of the armed forces could not be a good teacher. What everyone is commenting on this the mindset of Gove who seems to think that the stereotype of soldier would have a place in a classroom. It would be good to hear from him what particular characteristics he beleives would be of benefit. Once we know that perhaps teacher training could include them?

13. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Except isn't he getting rid of teacher training institutions and expecting schools to do it all...? (You know, fit it in between teaching 8Z and 7W on a Wednesday afternoon!)