1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Troops to Teachers scheme misses target

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 22, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Probably because the average army recruit does not have a degree and the ones that do have valuable skills in engineering, communications, electronics etc which make them more attracted to other industries. A bit of army discipline would not come amiss with some pupils though who need strong role models.

3. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

"A bit of army discipline would not come amiss with some pupils though who need strong role models....."

So teachers taken from those whose primary status is being trained to kill and maim without question are.....adequate/ suitable/ appropriate role models ?

Streeeeeeewth.

-myrtille- likes this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

We had some in to deal with a few of ours when I was in mainstream. They spent most of the time chasing them around the field.

Ex-military types or police etc seem to make poor teachers as it's such a massive change from their previous day to day lives

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yep.

Stairs. Our. Foot. I'll. Go. The. Of. To.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Soldiers used to unquestioning obedience towards those up the line and from those down the line. Can't see why it went wrong at all, a real puzzle.

Scintillant and FrankWolley like this.
  7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Soldiers in schools where children love to wind adults up and don't actually respond well to someone shouting in their faces? An excellent idea. What could possibly have gone wrong?

petenewton and -myrtille- like this.
  8. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It concerns me that some posters are perpetuating the stereotype. All the forces need engineers, air traffic controllers accountants, clergy, doctors, musicians and not just brawny grunts. Troops to teachers failed to attract the higher ranking non combat personnel with degrees or equivalent because they can earn more in other civilian professions or because they are women who want kids before they are too old.
    There's more to military careers than shouting orders on a parade ground.
    Worryingly, even the government failed to register this.

9. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

"So teachers taken from those whose primary status is being trained to kill and maim without question are.....adequate/ suitable/ appropriate role models ?"

So which part of the above is wrong, then?

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I am sure this is true but I am sure that when Gove brought this idea in it was the 'shout in the face' image he was thinking of.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Most of the ex-forces people I have come across were not "trained killers" but ordinary people who mostly had fixed aircraft. Most of them had an eye for detail and a strong sense of teamwork. One of my early colleagues who helped me a lot was one of these.
    I agree with Blazer that Mr Gove probably wanted the stereotypical parade ground sergeant major.

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

The scheme was always a loser. Military personnel plan leaving the services for a couple of years and usually have the time and financial help to train for a new career, of which teaching would be just one choice. I would hazard that the scheme has attracted mostly those who would have chosen teaching anyway - making the scheme an unexpected bonus rather than a primary reason.

And of course military personnel can empathise with the teaching profession on at least one level - they will be used to idiotic stereotyping by the under-informed.

petenewton likes this.
  13. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I whole heartedly agree with this. However, it's precisely because school's don't allow this that so many of the are hell-holes of mediocrity.

14. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

This was more an attempt to boost government PR as it was to recruit good teachers.

Over the past 5-10 years the military have held a special place in the minds of the UK public, they can do no wrong - risking their lives to protect queen and country etc. There are special awards for injured soldiers, the rise of the Invictus games, they are chosen regularly to parade flags in front of big crowds on big occasions.

Some bigwig in the DfE sat down and thought about how we could fix all those discipline problems caused by those awful teachers. Who better than the nation's darlings - the military? Thus a half baked idea was formed with much aplomb and many soundbites.

There is nothing which qualifies the military to automatically be good at teaching any more than firemen, bankers, journalists, chefs, or just about any other profession. The only thing in their favour is public opinion, and that's why this scheme was given the go ahead.

I have nothing against the military, but they have been used by this government as a PR vehicle.

-myrtille- and Middlemarch like this.
  15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My kid brother is a former Royal Marine and I'm fiercely proud of him. He took advantage of paid training for another career provided by the RM when he was planning to leave and afterwards forged a lucrative career in fibre-optic technology (he now works for Nokia Siemens). For what it's worth, had he been that way inclined (and had he at the time possessed the requisite qualifications - he has since been further educated and gained a master's degree), he'd have made a great teacher, but not because he'd been a soldier.

I tell you this (a) to indicate that I wouldn't think of stereotyping former military personnel. I join other sin thinking that this is exactly what Gove did, however, in starting this scheme.

16. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Soldiers do not learn that shouting works - however they realize (soon) that they have to put up with a lot of it, early on, in their quest for a livelihood - much like classroom teachers (I imagine) have to put up with a level of antagonism which is not altogether helpful, yet seems unavoidable.
    The soldier much like the teacher is perhaps second career damaged - there previous job seems to have defined them - perhaps unnecessarily.

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It was a bloody stupid idea to start off with, and our military have given it all the attention it deserves.

petenewton and yasf like this.
  18. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

When the initiative was first mooted, I took a look on some forces forum pages where the response was unanimously negative. Several very articulate military personnel made it clear that the pay was insulting, the underlying concept was patronising and the prospect of remaining in the public sector any longer was abhorrent.
    I'm glad that MG got pushed over to Justice. He appears to have finally shut up spouting his shallow, ill informed opinions now he's playing with the big boys. Just like being a fawning little tell-tale at school again who got bullied all the time. I'm sure that's why he really had it in for teachers in the first place.
    At least everyone can see that the current minister really hasn't ever had a single idea in her whole life, not even a bad one.

yasf likes this.
  19. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Surprise surprise. Who picks up the tab?

20. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Just another sound bite to get attention - look I could be new new prime minister