1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Troops to Teachers scheme is a 'flop', says Labour

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 18, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes.

There's already 2 threads running on this.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Standard bluster. Those who would go into teaching from the troops went into teaching. Nothing changed. Except, they gave them a decent grant and funded it. It was a gimmick. Designed to sound tough and pro-troops. Also designed to reduce the professionalism and standards expected of teachers. I.e., teaching is more about personality characteristics rather than well thought out and academically proven educational strategies.
    It is just more grist to the managerialism and corporate governance mill that has swept the UK schools and why genuine teachers are getting out.

delnon likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Please Miss - will Vince win this month's cryptic thread title trophy?

6. Vince_Ulam

Am I the only person here who watches good movies?

7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Shall we teach?

Perhaps not. This is easier. ..

download-4.jpg

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm staggered by the drop-out rate, I have to say.

delnon likes this.
  9. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

It might be more successful if they tried it the other way around: teachers to troops.

10. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

From caring to killing.

-myrtille- likes this.
  11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I'm not really surprised it didn't work. The idea that the disciplined approach of the military would transfer to schools is a good one but it was missing one important point.

The discipline of a military man (or woman) is not installed by the shouting sargent on the parade ground these days, It might have been in the past but nowadays is largely for show and because its a military tradition (and the military does love their traditions).

The modern soldier is very self disciplined based on the notions of respect both for themselves and others. They do something because they know it needs to be done and have a "can do" attitude towards it.

The poorly behaved children in schools causing problems have little or no respect for themselves or others and have a "cannot be bothered" attitude (often lacking basic planning to bring a pen to lessons).

Someone used to a military way of doing things would find this intensely irritating and alien to them. They wouldn't put up with it and want to get out quick.

12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Were you expecting it to be higher? Another article I read said that 29 started the training, making the drop-out rate 3.4% - admittedly that's higher than I recall it being on my PGCE.

The thing that fascinates me is how the image of soldiers has improved in recent years - in my youth they were the sort of people who shot unarmed teenagers in the back and killed Danish tour-guides with spades.

13. Vince_Ulam

14. Vince_Ulam

Remembering the 1938 Royal Horse Guards barracks rape in 1938 and considering the recent murders and alleged rapes at Deepcut, it's clear that the army has a natural appeal for violent men.

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Most of the squaddies I have known have been (a) not the brightest buttons in the box and (b) tend to become institutionalised as the forces take care of everything in their lives, so that when they are discharged from service they often have great difficulty in managing real life for themselves. Initiative isn't always their first strength.

On the other hand, the officers are too intelligent to go into teaching when they come out of the army and probably the last thing they want to do is try and manage a bunch of kids who have not learned how to behave, let alone follow orders.

16. Vince_Ulam

17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am more perplexed at how politicians can even think ex-military would work in schools.

The soldier will soon run into an obnoxious, foul mouthed kid. Already here it will take great discipline from a soldier, not least one who has seen war, to control themselves.

If he does, he will perhaps send the boy to the 'sarge' to be disciplined. The boy will be sent back with a message from 'sarge' saying leave him alone, it is not his fault and we don't want to upset him, the parents or OFSTED. Just let him be abusive to you, worry not about the other kids losing their education too, we will just fake the data'.

Do you honestly feel the ex military man would even make it to lunchtime once this happens?

Alf58 and les25paul like this.
  18. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I just think it's a fallacy that soldiers have anything more than anyone else from outside teaching that they can bring into it. Some will, some won't.

chelsea2, delnon and -myrtille- like this.
  19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I would take a reasonable bet that a high proportion of those ex-military personnel who have joined the scheme were probably intending to choose a career in teaching anyway, and a fair number of them may already have teaching and trainer qualifications, but can use the new grant to get them get a bit quicker to where they were going anyway.

I suppose some politico or bean counter thought that large scale redunancies in the armed forces could have a bright side if many could be retrained to fix teacher shortages and lack of discipline in school. The idea has some merit, but shows an astounding ignorance of the needs of schools as well as the attitudes and skills of people leaving the military. A number of ex-military people have always chosen teaching as a second career and I am sure they will continue to so; the availability of a grant here or there was never going to make any difference.

"So targeting the military has been a failure Perkins; but we can't admit defeat; so who else could we try?"

"Well Sir Humphry, it is along shot, but wipe them down, give them a few hours accelerated classroom awareness and a golden hanshake and this good be a runner." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-35586391

Yoda- likes this.
  20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

It would have been nice to know what the primary role was of each of the successful converters.

Were any instructor officers for example?