1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trolls

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thekillers1, Jul 27, 2018.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

As tough as it may seem to deal with trolls, there is a way to do it with grace, unlike Tesco Mobile’s example:

8A35FE69-91EC-4331-B72B-4DFA747DEE35.jpeg

Just keep your cool.

09CF1879-A4E3-4C2E-82C1-49671C708810.jpeg

Use humor, facts and kindness in responding to trolls
    , and you’ll make the TES community a safe and fun place for everyone. Unlike this person:

FF76EEB7-5778-4171-A7AE-6571A9BD1504.jpeg

Trolls are people too, and respect is the best policy online.

31686C0F-0FCB-4184-AC3C-309497CF5319.png

Keep that in mind when interacting with people on the web, and you’ll find it’s a piece of cake to tame the trolls.

C4901C1B-4061-45DD-82B3-0A3AB9E7729E.jpeg

How did you deal with them?

2. install

install Star commenter

Great post. And very honest. I'm.so glad you have brought this up.

My troll appeared and went years ago. They seemed to resent my advice if it ever went against the general consensus of advice up to that point in the thread. Sadly, the troll even went so far as to suggest that I thought myself 'superior' and that I used 'tactics' by suggesting an OP pm me ? Their worst attempt to cause discord though had the troll noting how different my opinions and suggestions were to all other posters.

Looking back, I think.the troll was trying to make it seem that there was a clique or hierarchy of posters that the troll led. But, clearly this was not and has never been the case. The troll simply wanted attention, entertainment and a long running ego trip of : 'I am always right. You are always wrong. Don't you know who I am'.

So what did I do -

1 I reported any inappropriate comments to the mods
    2 Used the 'ignore' button
    3 Ignored the troll's comments as much as possible
    4 Made the same point over and over but in a different way
    5. Got feedback from the OP to check.they were happy with my advice (and they were)
    6 Challenged the troll in the forum itself - but in a clear, measured and assured way
    7 Refuse to be drawn in by the troll
    8 Stuck to my opinions and advice - because I knew it was based on real experience and didn't pick on posters
    9 Kept the thread on track as much as possible and in view of the OP's original question

And the biggy-

10 The best solution ended up being the simplest. I challenged the troll directly in the forum and in a measured, appropriate and reasonable way to 'agree to disagree'.

I also pointed out on the forum something like this:
    'All posters are equal and free to seek or give advice - and to be different. Even if that advice was different to all other posters and well established posters. My advice was based upon my experiences and I was right to give it.'

And guess what? The troll was well and truly silenced. :):):)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

4. install

install Star commenter

Lol No - but I did use kindness :)

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Is yesterday such a long time ago?;) :eek::p

6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Billy goats, surely.

7. install

install Star commenter

Lol not that one- :):p

thekillers1 likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Happens a lot then?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've always thought of trolls as posters who post lies, mainly for attention.

Sometimes I think if it makes them happy, then hey ho!
    Sometimes it is easy enough to post links to their history to show they are lying.
    Sometimes they annoy and irritate.
    Mostly I probably don't even notice.

Problems sometimes come more from the responses than anything else.
    Trolls on the net annoy me less than people who exhibit the same behaviour in real life.

I don't think trolls are the biggest problem with TES forums though.

Bumptious and Jesmond12 like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

Not in my experience to be fair - but I have been posting a long time. I don't get the impression there are many on here either. Not sure about the experiences of others or the OP's though on this site or other sites in general. :):):)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

In the last few months I've added 9 tiresome people to my previously empty ignore list - some of them are very regular posters who very regularly post variations of the same obnoxious tripe whenever a post gives them an opening. While they're not trolls per se, they were impacting my enjoyment of the forum and were not open to discussion. Now it amuses me to see the gaps in threads and the futile arguments of others who similarly disagree with them :)

12. install

install Star commenter

Yes - I know what you mean.. Completely agree . And it being an 'open' forum - like a public arena - I guess that goes with the territory in part.

The latest potential differences of course are on the Brexit threads - and with the emergence of 'fake news' . The govt are concerned about trolls too it seems on social media during elections...

thekillers1 and drvs like this.
  13. thekillers1

I’ll apologise now if I’m one of these individuals.

drvs and install like this.
  14. drvs

drvs Star commenter

No gaps in the the thread so far ;)

thekillers1, Lara mfl 05 and install like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Arrr..@thekillers1 - you are sweet :):):)

thekillers1 likes this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL Or none that you can notice...we are on page 6 you know! :D

17. thekillers1

Attached Files:

18. thekillers1

19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

:eek::eek::eek:?!!