1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

trips into the forest

Discussion in 'School trips' started by kanddd, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Has anybody taken primary children into a forest with the sole reason to coppice trees. Wondering if there is a risk assessment for such an activity.

2. Has anybody taken primary children into a forest with the sole reason to coppice trees. Wondering if there is a risk assessment for such an activity.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Do you mean actually using tools to cut branches from trees?

I assume this is in an existing willow coppice with expert tuition? If so does the place have an existing risk assessment?

How old are the kids, what tools will they be using?

4. This is a part of a forest. there has been no coppicing and we, the adults, will be leading the group. Primary school age.The adults want to take children who are not going on the residential trips and children who need nurturing.

I am trying to write the risk assessment at the moment. I know I will have to send it to the LA but don't want to sound totally negative to the enthusiastic staff who want to do it.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So can I take it you have adults who know how to coppice? Do they know how to use the tools correctly and safely? Do you have the tools and correct safety equipment for everyone?

Have you spoken to experts such as the Forestry commision or local park rangers for advice?

6. I'm puzzled - are a couple of teachers planning to take a group of primary children into a local forest with axes and hack saws to engage in a spot of random coppicing? Is this legal? I'd be interested to meet a teacher who is happy to supervise a class of 10 year olds wielding axes.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Thoughts like that crossed my mind as well! Using sharp tools on planed wood in a vice in a CDT room is fraught with danger. The idea of them doing it outside in a wood on uneven ground etc seems rather risky!

8. I know it sounds absolutely horrendous. Thats why I have had to investigate it thoroughly. Our 'green team' are exceedingly committed to using this wood. I am hoping to get trained forestry workers involved. They want answers really fast, I am at present making a risk assessment for the outdoor education advisor who has said that it might well be possible to use. So its up to me to prove it can be used.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

When I did A level Biology our teacher took us to do coppicing in the woods adjoining the school. He had one heck of a time getting it approved (and there were only about 8 of us). I do not think it is an appropriate activity for primary school children if they are wielding any kind of blade. If, on the other hand, they are not the ones doing the coppicing, I wonder what is the point.