1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Triple or Combined Science, how does your school choose?

Discussion in 'Science' started by particlezoo, Jan 10, 2019.

1. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

Hi Everyone

How do your schools decide if students should do triple or combined science?

In other schools I've worked at the Science department has chosen or at least had a heavy influence. I'm currently working in a 13-18 school where any student is allowed to choose Triple as an option and they choose when they are in middle school (before they start y9 with us) so we don't even know the kids! Our current y11 is a 50:50 split between combined and triple and our current y10 60% of them do triple.
    We are getting hammered over the results for triple and I would like to put us inline with the other schools I've worked in and have some kind of selection criteria. I appreciate this would be excluding some kids from taking triple but now the triple exams are totally separate I am worried that some of our kids would be disadvantaged going up against the "nest of the best" as it were from other schools and the grade boundaries.

I have a meeting with SLT to discuss this in a week so any suggestions gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Zoo

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Four sets in each year group. Same timetable allocation for all. Top set does triple, the rest don't. Pupils don't get a choice, although we have sometimes kept Set 2 a bit smaller to allow for fall-out from the top set. The top set are comparative high-flyers so can cope with a faster pace.
    We had a system in the past where triple was an option and had more timetable time, but access to the option depended on performance . This worked less well for all sorts of reasons!

3. Crookshanks

Crookshanks New commenter

Hi particle zoo,

Following the students completing an end of year test in year 9, we rank all the students in the year based on the end of year test and end of topic assessments. The top 30 students on both sides of the year bands ie set ‘1’ on both sides will end up doing triple.

Some students may then choose to move down if they don’t want to do triple for instance, if they would like to do another subject at GCSE.

Out of 10 sets on each side, we only have 1 set of the most highest per mining students doing triple.

Hope this helps

4. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

Hi Crookshanks

Thanks for that. Do your students not choose their options until the end of year nine then?

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Last school i was at. 7 science groups set by ability divided into upper (4) and lower (3). Come options time triple is allowed as an option for the top 4 groups and usually enough opt to make up one set. This can end up as a fairly mixed ability bunch which makes the teaching a bit more awkward. Everyone else does double.

6. Crookshanks

Crookshanks New commenter

Sorry for the late reply.

No, the students don’t get any choice, we rank their attainment data at the end of year and the top 30 students do triple. The triple students can opt out of doing triple and do combined instead; but the combined cannot choose to do triple.

7. purple-linzi

purple-linzi New commenter

Top 50%ish do triple no choice rest do double

8. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

We offer it to the top 90 students in each year to have 3 groups (out of 12)