1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

trip to Spain

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lonelyteacher, May 5, 2012.

1. lonelyteacher

lonelyteacher New commenter

Hola,
    As Spanish is getting more and more popular in my school, I am now getting a fair amount of GCSE students. I would like to take them to Barcelona (if possible) for a few days.
    Students don't have a wealthy backgroung so I was wondering which companies you could advice as well as any experience on a trip to Spain?
    Thank you in advance

2. lonelyteacher

Hola,
    As Spanish is getting more and more popular in my school, I am now getting a fair amount of GCSE students. I would like to take them to Barcelona (if possible) for a few days.
    Students don't have a wealthy backgroung so I was wondering which companies you could advice as well as any experience on a trip to Spain?
    Thank you in advance

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Lead commenter

There is a lot of Catalan spoken in Barcelona - maybe you could consider somewhere more definitely "Spanish"?

Lots of ideas, but how many would you want to take, and how would you want to travel (coach or air)?

4. lonelyteacher

depending on the definite number of students for GCSE but hopefully between 20-30.
    I would prefer by plane but it might be more expensive.

5. Hi,

I took a group of KS3/4 pupils to Cataluña last year and went with NST - would definitely recommend them booking with them. I wouldn't stay in Barcelona itself as that would be too expensive but NST give the option of staying in Salou or Rosas - both excellent bases for excursions and enjoyed by pupils. They also give you the option of a 3 or 4 night stay at your chosen destination and generally found them really easy to deal with. The prices quoted are expensive but when you see everything they include (flights, flight transfers, baggage allowance, excursions, hotel, meals, insurance etc), they provide value for money.

Whilst I would agree with the point made earlier about Barcelona not being the best place to hear and speak Spanish, the pupils that I took enjoyed the trip immensely and it has had a really positive knock-on effect in lessons (even now whilst in the process of completing Controlled Assessments!) and pupil take-up in all key stages.

6. What about a trip to Santander? I know it does not have the glamour of Barcelona but it does have lots going for it.
    1. You could travel by coach, direct flight or ferry.
    2. They speak castilian only.
    3. It is probably going to be cheaper than Barcelona and much less crime ridden.
    4. There are loads of excursions in the area.
    5. Local transport is excellent.
    6. The beach is great.
    7. We had a great trip there a few years ago, by coach. If I was to do it now I would definitely fly.

7. ambi

ambi New commenter

We are going with NST to Cantabria in autumn. We are flying to Bilbao - but only very small group going so it has bumped up cost considerably. With 30 you could do it for about £400 - £450 but at off peak times. went to that area years ago on a trip and it was fab - as OTTER says lots to do!

8. lonelyteacher

Thank you all for your replies.
    I love Barcelona but after reading your comments, I have to agree and choose another place.
    I heard about NST so need to contact them.
    GeoffThomas, I will also email.