1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

trip early start-late finish

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by vicky pollard, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I have been asked to go on a very long day trip. Is there some regulation about the number of hours break we are meant to have between days- ie if a trip returns very late we can start later the next morning?

2. I have been asked to go on a very long day trip. Is there some regulation about the number of hours break we are meant to have between days- ie if a trip returns very late we can start later the next morning?

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I don't know of any rules etc. about this (others may), but what is to stop you saying 'Sorry, much as I'd like to, I can't go unless I can start later the next day'? If everyone says the same...

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hi all,
    It does depend a bit on (a) your job and (b) whether it's actually you who organised the trip.
    If you organised the trip, you can't really complain about the long day, so you just need to be nice to everyone else who's going. On the other hand, if it's someone elses trip, you have the choice to say 'sorry, I can't do a day that long' and stay in school.
    There are European Working Time Regulations (maybe not quite the exact name) which are part of UK employment law. They state that you are entitled to an 11 hour rest period - so for example, if you finished a 'shift' at 10pm, 9am is the earliest you could be expected to start the next day.
    Mark

5. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

6. It is interesting to note that the 11 hour break between shifts is regarded as an entitlement not a rule. There is nothing to stop an employee having a shorter break, nor the employer asking them to restart work in less than 11 hours. The Law would only deem a breach of the Directive if the empolyee complained of having to have a shorter break.

7. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

That's the same as a lot of our conditions in the STPCD...there's nothing to stop a headteacher asking teachers to have lunchtime meetings, or work a 15 hour day or to give up their PPA - but we have an entitlement to say no. Nothing complicated about that.
    What's the difference between an entitlement and a rule?
    Mark

8. The difference, as I have clearly explained, is in the interpretation.

9. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Really? How do you interpret 'entitlement' then BD99?