1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Triggered - how to respond

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dmrsie_102, Jun 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dmrsie_102

dmrsie_102 New commenter

Hi,

So I'm working with upper KS2 at the moment and one of the boys today was getting irritated with a girl (they were bickering) and he said 'woah triggered' at her repeatedly.

I'm posting because I've heard that word in several contexts:
    a) in discussing mental health symptoms as a response to triggers
    b) as a response to feminists to trivialise their responses.

Now clearly he was repeating something he has heard - I'd like to educate the class on the term but I'm not sure of the approach...similar to 'that's gay' as a response of 'you are using the word incorrectly and it is offensive to use it like that'? Has anyone else addressed this and got advice?

Just to reiterate - I feel it needs addressing as there was an underlying implication of it being towards the girl which he has picked up from somewhere. I don't want to tell him off for a throwaway comment but I would like to do an open discussion of the term. Thanks!

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's taking the mick out of her.

"Ooh, get you. Drama queen. All upset over nothing. I've really got you wound up, haven't I? Ha ha ha."

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What's it supposed to mean? I've never heard of it.

minnie me and pepper5 like this.
  4. dmrsie_102

dmrsie_102 New commenter

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to imply that a woman has got irritated over nothing and has been triggered to anger. I've seen it on memes.

History88 and pepper5 like this.
  5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

It's not a gender specific term.

Just have a word with him about not escalating the situation by mindlessly repeating some word that is fleetingly trendy and that he doesn't understand the root of. Usual teacher talk version of "stop being a d1ck".

You could go off on a righteous talk about it being an offensive misuse of MH terminology but that would seem misplaced with a boy in UKS2.

mm71, Stiltskin, sabrinakat and 5 others like this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Whoever said what to whom when, he's trying to wind her up. Search Youtube for the word 'triggered'. It's used, sometimes accurately in my view, to indicate that someone has lost control of their emotions e.g. lots of people were triggered by the results of the last American general election:

People are often 'triggered' when others consciously attempt to 'trigger' them but I wouldn't make it the focus of a lesson. It's just your common or garden pigtail-pulling with a bright, shiny new name. Providing that there's no serious bullying going on then tell the lad to behave himself and the lass to ignore him.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

We went through a phase of it at my place about a year ago - kids used it in place of "angry". never thought of any sexist connotations.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

What @drvs said.

"You enjoyed seeing her get upset and,you just wouldn't let it go. That was very unkind of you and it made for a bad atmosphere in class as well as getting in the way of work."

9. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I haven't heard it. Can't have reached this part of the country yet!!

pepper5 likes this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

"And you, young lady, stop being such a bossy-boots."

pepper5 likes this.
  11. treefrog101

treefrog101 New commenter

I know the term in regards to ptsd a trigger is something that brings up a very unpleasant response when reminded of a traumatic event. Could be quite upsetting if used against somebody who experiences these reactions for real so I hope that this use of the term is nipped in the bud

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Interesting reading of the original story
    My initial thought was that the boy was passive and the girl aggressive, and that the boy was warning her that he was being triggered and might lose self control.
    Insufficient detail to tell really.

13. grumpydogwoman

I believe it is often used to suggest a woman is getting hysterical about sexual harassment or upskirting or rape. Yes. It's used in that context. So it can be seen as misogynistic and the boy may have intended an element of misogyny.

But better to deal not with individual words, I think.

Just a general chat in PSHE about how we use gender/sexuality/race/class to put other people down. And the act of being dismissive is what we should deplore. The intention. Don't focus on the word. Focus on the fact that people seem to feel better about themselves if they belittle others. Why is that? How can we put a stop to it because nobody likes it when they are on the receiving end. We can all dish it out but we can rarely take it, can we? Kids? Well, can we? No.

History88 and Rott Weiler like this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

An expression adopted by the alt-right to described the angry response of people to comments designed to invoke anger in them.

15. Vince_Ulam

I have never heard of it being used in this context. It is best that teachers do not attribute to crime what can be explained by childishness.

16. Scintillant

Yes, that was a large part of its beginnings. "Triggering" feminists.

I expect the boy has come across the term on the internet and is using it in an entirely different way, simply to mean "I wound you up, lol"

17. Vince_Ulam

No, although its reversal upon its those who adopted it for their political ends can be amusing.

18. Scintillant

It really took off in 2014 and 2015 after the Melody Hensley affair. And it's growth was at the expense of feminists and what are termed by some as "social justice warriors".